Silos are important
SIR – The image of the site as projected by Cereal Partners is helpful and the suggestion that the silos might contain an art gallery and museum, possibly even one devoted to the history of WGC, is an excellent one. I hope that the space currently occupie
SIR - The image of the site as projected by Cereal Partners is helpful and the suggestion that the silos might contain an art gallery and museum, possibly even one devoted to the history of WGC, is an excellent one.
I hope that the space currently occupied by allotments will not be affected since these are more necessary than ever given the need to grow more food locally.
However it seems a pity that an opportunity has not been taken to incorporate some innovative ideas into the plan. What about an area for a regular market and particularly a Farmers' Market? There is nowhere in the centre where fresh, locally grown vegetables can be purchased.
And if anything is badly needed, it is an area where young people can safely rollerblade, skateboard, ride cycles and generally 'hang around'without feeling that their elders don't want them there.
Of course more housing means more cars and parking, and more demands on schools and health facilities. The decision to focus on the Lister as the prime hospital makes even less sense in the light of Cereal Partners' plan. I do hope ourcouncil will show some courage and farsightedness when the time comes to discuss any plans.
- 1 'Garden thieves' caught on camera in Welwyn
- 2 Welwyn Garden City school earns prestigious development award
- 3 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 4 TfL removes over 100 London buses after EV blaze in Potters Bar
- 5 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 6 Spectacular Grade II listed home near Hatfield on the market for £3m
- 7 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 8 Cuffley home care company recognised among best in east of England
- 9 Fifteen-year-old boy hospitalised after reported stabbing in Hatfield
- 10 Local man will be flying high in an effort to raise much needed funds for Potential Kids
Handside Lane, WGC .