Show your appreciation – it helps
SIR – How nice it was to see Arkwright and Granville adorning the front cover of the WHT (January 30). I noticed that Arkwright is looking a little older these days, not surprising I suppose, with the threat of possible closure of Handside Post Offic
SIR - How nice it was to see "Arkwright" and "Granville" adorning the front cover of the WHT (January 30). I noticed that Arkwright is looking a little older these days, not surprising I suppose, with the threat of possible closure of Handside Post Office!
Nevertheless, he still goes about his business, usually with a merry quip for everyone.
On a much more serious note, what on earth has possessed the powers that be, to even consider the idea of closing many local post offices.
Handside Post Office, like many others, is a real asset to the community. Not everyone wants to trek to the town centre to carry out their business, in fact a lot of elderly folk just couldn't manage it anyway and not everyone owns a car!
Local post offices offer a very personal service and for many, a chance to meet old friends for a chat. Almost like the village shop of days gone by.
I am sure the Post Office does want to make more profit, after a £90 million pound loss last year, but in my opinion they will not succeed if they follow their plans of closing smaller, yet vital links, within most communities and introducing a mobile service, known as outreach.
- 1 Shoppers predict ‘demise’ of Welwyn Garden City town centre after store closures announced
- 2 What is the future for The Howard Centre?
- 3 Axes and knives found during weapons raid
- 4 Buyers can now reserve an apartment in Hatfield Rise
- 5 Work begins on Welwyn Garden City’s new-look Anniversary Gardens
- 6 Cash stolen from elderly man using bank ATM
- 7 Time-lapse video: Nightingale surge hub build at Lister Hospital
- 8 Stevenage health lead 'appalled' as Lister stroke unit is downgraded again
- 9 Cancer nurse's warning over drop in cervical screening
- 10 Amazon parcels stolen in doorstep theft in Potters Bar
This is not an option as far as I am concerned and I will do everything I can to help stop this stupidity. I am totally baffled, how closing smaller post offices will help anything? All it will do is alienate their customers and cause a lot of hardship to the local senior citizens.
The alternative, I feel, will cause much confusion and certainly give the Post Office staff a great deal of extra work! Please, please write to Mr Edlin, with your views on this whole issue, which will help him to provide evidence to the Post Office Consultation Team, when they carry out their investigations in June.
Anyway Arkwright, don't hang up your broom yet and keep that old till going! I think you will be surprised at the support you will receive from your customers, as a thank you, for the genuine and friendly service that you have shown to everyone for many, many years.
A very regular customer!
R.Bailey, Elm Gardens, WGC.