Shed light on this?
SIR – I thank Cllr Markiewicz for his reply (WHT, 23/1/08) to my request for an update on council promises made in a five-year plan leaflet. However, I am sure he will appreciate the reasons for my scepticism. In the leaflet it is stated: We will valu
SIR - I thank Cllr Markiewicz for his reply (WHT, 23/1/08) to my request for an update on council promises made in a five-year plan leaflet.
However, I am sure he will appreciate the reasons for my scepticism.
In the leaflet it is stated: "We will value our employees and the contribution they make to the well-being of the district."
Ever since then the council has been trying to reduce staff numbers by means of privatisation.
You may also want to watch:
The current issue of the WHT states: "Privatisation could lead to redundancies" and that: "The heart of the council is being ripped out."
But let the councillor answer a problem I have.
- 1 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 2 John Lewis to reopen Welwyn Garden City store on April 12
- 3 RSPCA appeal to help seriously injured 'miracle cat' Trudie after she's hit by a bus
- 4 Second major film and TV studios plan revealed for site near Sky Studios Elstree
- 5 Which pubs are reopening in Welwyn and Hatfield on April 12?
- 6 'Dangerous' man imprisoned for sexual assault in Hatfield
- 7 Isabel Hospice 'excited' to reopen charity shops on April 12
- 8 Residents urged to comment on Wheat Quarter proposals
- 9 Where has the Duke of Edinburgh visited in Hertfordshire?
- 10 Welwyn Garden City John Lewis survives as retailer announces closures
A year or two ago I reported that a lamppost outside my house was damaged and in a dangerous condition.
The council response was rapid and very efficient, but my call to the council to report the problem raised another one. When giving the location of this post I gave its number and added that it was the one with the notice, Warning, street wardens patrol the area, to which the response was: "I have no record of this being a patrolled area."
I have lived in this house for more than 40 years and have never seen a warden pass by.
Cllr Markiewicz, is this area being patrolled? If not, how many citizens are also living with a false sense of security?
Incidentally, this light and the one on a similar post at the other end of the road, remain on 24/7.
S Stevens, Birds Close, WGC.