Shed light on this?
SIR – I thank Cllr Markiewicz for his reply (WHT, 23/1/08) to my request for an update on council promises made in a five-year plan leaflet. However, I am sure he will appreciate the reasons for my scepticism. In the leaflet it is stated: We will valu
SIR - I thank Cllr Markiewicz for his reply (WHT, 23/1/08) to my request for an update on council promises made in a five-year plan leaflet.
However, I am sure he will appreciate the reasons for my scepticism.
In the leaflet it is stated: "We will value our employees and the contribution they make to the well-being of the district."
Ever since then the council has been trying to reduce staff numbers by means of privatisation.
The current issue of the WHT states: "Privatisation could lead to redundancies" and that: "The heart of the council is being ripped out."
But let the councillor answer a problem I have.
- 1 Omicron variant: Confirmed case in Hertfordshire says health boss Jim McManus
- 2 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 3 Suspected stabbing in Welwyn Garden City
- 4 Closures lifted on A1(M) after emergency services deem road safe
- 5 A1(M) closed in both directions due to fallen cables
- 6 Purse stolen from 74-year-old woman
- 7 Meet the authors behind a new architecture book on Welwyn and Welwyn Garden City
- 8 Where can you get a walk-in booster in Welwyn Hatfield this week?
- 9 Man injured while working in Hatfield Business Park
- 10 When are Royal Mail's last posting dates for Christmas 2021?
A year or two ago I reported that a lamppost outside my house was damaged and in a dangerous condition.
The council response was rapid and very efficient, but my call to the council to report the problem raised another one. When giving the location of this post I gave its number and added that it was the one with the notice, Warning, street wardens patrol the area, to which the response was: "I have no record of this being a patrolled area."
I have lived in this house for more than 40 years and have never seen a warden pass by.
Cllr Markiewicz, is this area being patrolled? If not, how many citizens are also living with a false sense of security?
Incidentally, this light and the one on a similar post at the other end of the road, remain on 24/7.
S Stevens, Birds Close, WGC.