Shed light on this?
SIR – I thank Cllr Markiewicz for his reply (WHT, 23/1/08) to my request for an update on council promises made in a five-year plan leaflet. However, I am sure he will appreciate the reasons for my scepticism. In the leaflet it is stated: We will valu
SIR - I thank Cllr Markiewicz for his reply (WHT, 23/1/08) to my request for an update on council promises made in a five-year plan leaflet.
However, I am sure he will appreciate the reasons for my scepticism.
In the leaflet it is stated: "We will value our employees and the contribution they make to the well-being of the district."
Ever since then the council has been trying to reduce staff numbers by means of privatisation.
You may also want to watch:
The current issue of the WHT states: "Privatisation could lead to redundancies" and that: "The heart of the council is being ripped out."
But let the councillor answer a problem I have.
- 1 Hollywood in Hertfordshire: 17 film stars and movie directors who have visited Welwyn Hatfield
- 2 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 3 Hollywood heads to Hertfordshire with £700m Sunset Studios film and TV development plans announced
- 4 Lack of confidence in Welwyn Hatfield council following housing safety scandal
- 5 It's coming home! Welwyn Garden City's Commemoration Jug claimed by Reis Suart
- 6 Potters Bar Town delighted with successful return of beer and music festival
- 7 'Welwyn will no longer have the right to call itself a garden city' - warning over development plans for Broadwater Road
- 8 Welwyn Garden City's Jodie Williams eases into Olympic 400m semi-final
- 9 Herts Council has 'pattern of mishandling children's services complaints'
- 10 Jodie Williams gunning for gold after barrier-breaking personal best at Tokyo 2020 Olympics
A year or two ago I reported that a lamppost outside my house was damaged and in a dangerous condition.
The council response was rapid and very efficient, but my call to the council to report the problem raised another one. When giving the location of this post I gave its number and added that it was the one with the notice, Warning, street wardens patrol the area, to which the response was: "I have no record of this being a patrolled area."
I have lived in this house for more than 40 years and have never seen a warden pass by.
Cllr Markiewicz, is this area being patrolled? If not, how many citizens are also living with a false sense of security?
Incidentally, this light and the one on a similar post at the other end of the road, remain on 24/7.
S Stevens, Birds Close, WGC.