Services on a slippery slope
SIR – It is disgraceful how the residents of Welwyn Hatfield Council have been treated during the icy weather (WHT, February 4). As the pensioner described it, she was trapped in her own home due to the icy state of the pavements surrounding her home. T
SIR - It is disgraceful how the residents of Welwyn Hatfield Council have been treated during the icy weather (WHT, February 4).
As the pensioner described it, she was trapped in her own home due to the icy state of the pavements surrounding her home.
The response from the council spokeswoman only confirms the attitude of the council to its residents.
Before the council privatised its services, the directly employed refuse collectors, not being able to do their normal collection work, would have been used to remove snow and ice from footpaths around elderly persons homes and the town centres.
You may also want to watch:
Now the council do not employ any direct labour. Do the contractors not do this type of emergency work? Is it not in their contract?
As there has not been any sign of a refuse collection service this week, what has happened to the refuse collectors? Have they all stayed at home?
- 1 Audi and jewellery worth £70K stolen in Hatfield burglary
- 2 Sky Studios Elstree starts recruitment drive ahead of planned 2022 opening
- 3 Fireworks displays in Hertfordshire for Bonfire Night 2021
- 4 When do the clocks go back in 2021 and British Summer Time ends?
- 5 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 6 Rumoured Halifax closure would leave Hatfield with no banks
- 7 Filming taking place at The Galleria shopping centre in Hatfield
- 8 Ex-England star returns to former school for launch of environmental football campaign
- 9 Congratulations! See Sir Cliff Richard's The Great 80 Tour live in cinemas
- 10 Tenant's despair over bill for council tax on mouldy flat
It seems to me that as our council taxes keep going up, the services provided by the council get less and less.
I also notice that the town hall staff all finished work at 2pm in the afternoon. So much for public service!
A J Grice, Dellcott Close, WGC.