Services on a slippery slope
SIR – It is disgraceful how the residents of Welwyn Hatfield Council have been treated during the icy weather (WHT, February 4). As the pensioner described it, she was trapped in her own home due to the icy state of the pavements surrounding her home. T
SIR - It is disgraceful how the residents of Welwyn Hatfield Council have been treated during the icy weather (WHT, February 4).
As the pensioner described it, she was trapped in her own home due to the icy state of the pavements surrounding her home.
The response from the council spokeswoman only confirms the attitude of the council to its residents.
Before the council privatised its services, the directly employed refuse collectors, not being able to do their normal collection work, would have been used to remove snow and ice from footpaths around elderly persons homes and the town centres.
You may also want to watch:
Now the council do not employ any direct labour. Do the contractors not do this type of emergency work? Is it not in their contract?
As there has not been any sign of a refuse collection service this week, what has happened to the refuse collectors? Have they all stayed at home?
- 1 Planning application submitted for 173-space car park and mobile café at park
- 2 Preparation works under way for Stonehills revamp
- 3 Man suffers fractured skull and bleed on the brain after pub assault
- 4 What to do if you see these hazardous caterpillars in a park
- 5 Delight for performing arts school as song hits number one in iTunes classical charts
- 6 Mum's proud of soldier son's guard of honour role at Prince Philip's funeral
- 7 'These heroes deserve a proper pay rise' - Demonstration of support for NHS workers to be held outside New QEII
- 8 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 9 Rail passengers warned of three-day closure at London King's Cross station
- 10 Pregnant woman jailed for more than two years for killing cyclist
It seems to me that as our council taxes keep going up, the services provided by the council get less and less.
I also notice that the town hall staff all finished work at 2pm in the afternoon. So much for public service!
A J Grice, Dellcott Close, WGC.