Services on a slippery slope
SIR – It is disgraceful how the residents of Welwyn Hatfield Council have been treated during the icy weather (WHT, February 4). As the pensioner described it, she was trapped in her own home due to the icy state of the pavements surrounding her home. T
SIR - It is disgraceful how the residents of Welwyn Hatfield Council have been treated during the icy weather (WHT, February 4).
As the pensioner described it, she was trapped in her own home due to the icy state of the pavements surrounding her home.
The response from the council spokeswoman only confirms the attitude of the council to its residents.
Before the council privatised its services, the directly employed refuse collectors, not being able to do their normal collection work, would have been used to remove snow and ice from footpaths around elderly persons homes and the town centres.
You may also want to watch:
Now the council do not employ any direct labour. Do the contractors not do this type of emergency work? Is it not in their contract?
As there has not been any sign of a refuse collection service this week, what has happened to the refuse collectors? Have they all stayed at home?
- 1 More than 20 arrested following major Welwyn Hatfield county lines drugs operation
- 2 Closing the New QEII at night permanently still to be considered
- 3 COVID-19 deaths across Hertfordshire hit new milestone
- 4 Man sentenced to three years in prison for breaking girlfriend's jaw
- 5 Bank becomes latest to be lost from town centre
- 6 Mum-of-four loses six stone in just over a year after being unable to play with her youngest child
- 7 'Horrific' abuser who 'showed no remorse' sentenced
- 8 Former Spitfire and Hurricane engineer celebrates 100th birthday
- 9 Who is Lady Danbury in new Netflix series Bridgerton?
- 10 Apply for planning permission or move skips and machinery, company told
It seems to me that as our council taxes keep going up, the services provided by the council get less and less.
I also notice that the town hall staff all finished work at 2pm in the afternoon. So much for public service!
A J Grice, Dellcott Close, WGC.