Safety first, services second rate
SIR – So, we ve have a bit of snow. Considering that it s winter that s not really surprising, even with the threat of Global Warming looming. But let us look at how the area has coped, even though the Met Office had forecast this severe weather two da
SIR - So, we've have a bit of snow. Considering that it's winter that's not really surprising, even with the threat of "Global Warming" looming.
But let us look at how the area has coped, even though the Met Office had forecast this severe weather two days in advance.
None but the main roads gritted - that's OK, because of course, none of us live in side streets!
Schools closed - what, to remove the need for the teachers to drive in? It must be because I seem to remember that as a kid of the 60s we trudged though feet of snow to get into school - obviously different snow then or tougher kids.
You may also want to watch:
Meals on Wheels suspended - that's OK, I'm sure the OAPs can stop eating for a few days.
Rubbish collection suspended due to the fact that the big tough men picking it up might slip on the ice when carrying a bin bag the three feet from the edge of the property to the truck.
- 1 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
- 2 Safety check and risk assessment failings for hundreds of Welwyn Hatfield council houses
- 3 When is Team GB cycling star Laura Kenny in action at Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 Community reacts to closure of overnight Urgent Care Centre service at New QEII Hospital
- 6 Water safety advice issued following lake drowning
- 7 New report reveals 28 Covid deaths at Hatfield care home
- 8 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 9 The changing nature of Potters Bar high street
- 10 Henry Moore Foundation in Hertfordshire appears in new Fake or Fortune? series on BBC One
No post, well none in WGC, due to "Heath and Safety" concerns.
How pathetic, where's the British Bulldog spirit that got us though two world wars? Hiding behind H&S of course!
As a final thought, does anyone see a pattern here? Except for the post, all council-arranged services - and I should now add that the council offices closed early at 2pm - presumably with them all taking a half day's holiday.
I sure it's naive of me to hope for a small reduction in council tax to offset this extremely poor show.
Bob Kelly, WGC.