Safety first, services second rate
SIR – So, we ve have a bit of snow. Considering that it s winter that s not really surprising, even with the threat of Global Warming looming. But let us look at how the area has coped, even though the Met Office had forecast this severe weather two da
SIR - So, we've have a bit of snow. Considering that it's winter that's not really surprising, even with the threat of "Global Warming" looming.
But let us look at how the area has coped, even though the Met Office had forecast this severe weather two days in advance.
None but the main roads gritted - that's OK, because of course, none of us live in side streets!
Schools closed - what, to remove the need for the teachers to drive in? It must be because I seem to remember that as a kid of the 60s we trudged though feet of snow to get into school - obviously different snow then or tougher kids.
You may also want to watch:
Meals on Wheels suspended - that's OK, I'm sure the OAPs can stop eating for a few days.
Rubbish collection suspended due to the fact that the big tough men picking it up might slip on the ice when carrying a bin bag the three feet from the edge of the property to the truck.
- 1 Rural land near Welwyn to go on sale next month
- 2 Family of four ‘distraught’ after living in single hotel room for nearly five months after house fire
- 3 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 4 £45m housing development to be showcased as buyers get chance to select home
- 5 Meet the woman behind Welwyn Garden City’s Halloween postbox topper
- 6 Lloyds announce branch closure to leave Hatfield with one bank
- 7 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 8 How was womanising Hatfield policeman allowed to work promoting female safety?
- 9 Hatfield curry house is hot stuff after being named nation’s best
- 10 Welwyn Garden City murder-suicide: Grief-stricken family release statement
No post, well none in WGC, due to "Heath and Safety" concerns.
How pathetic, where's the British Bulldog spirit that got us though two world wars? Hiding behind H&S of course!
As a final thought, does anyone see a pattern here? Except for the post, all council-arranged services - and I should now add that the council offices closed early at 2pm - presumably with them all taking a half day's holiday.
I sure it's naive of me to hope for a small reduction in council tax to offset this extremely poor show.
Bob Kelly, WGC.