Safety culture slipping up
SIR – The snow and ice over the past week brought about a welcome change to the humdrum routine of daily life for all members of the family. But the snow s victory over everyday life is not one that we as a nation should be proud of: the withdrawal of Lo
SIR - The snow and ice over the past week brought about a welcome change to the humdrum routine of daily life for all members of the family.
But the snow's victory over everyday life is not one that we as a nation should be proud of: the withdrawal of London buses, the debacle over road gritting, the vast swathe of schools closures and the complete absence of refuse collections throughout Welwyn Hatfield all week!
At the root of this is the risk adverse, health and safety culture that pervades society; everything is carefully assessed so as to eliminate any possible risk or harm and then if there is any deviation from the norm, it is always assumed better to cease providing the service than risk something going wrong.
Last week's 'snow event' marks the beginning of the end of mankind's ability to develop skills such as initiative and common sense.
You may also want to watch:
Name and address supplied.
- 1 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 2 Fine issued to funeral director after ‘clear and blatant breach’ of coronavirus rules
- 3 Documentary will delve into former palace turned home for WWII children
- 4 Significantly higher number of fines and warnings for COVID-19 rule breakers in Welwyn Hatfield than nearby areas
- 5 Police attend funeral as residents voice concerns about 'social distancing'
- 6 This week's pick of the movies made in Herts on TV
- 7 Principal reveals biggest challenges and successes during her time at Oaklands College
- 8 County council offices could be sold off or leased in part
- 9 Man sentenced to three years in prison for breaking girlfriend's jaw
- 10 More than 20 arrested following major Welwyn Hatfield county lines drugs operation