Remember the team of 49?
Sir – Now 86 years of age, I ve just come across a Welwyn Times photo cutting from 1949 that may be of special interest to ancients like myself, who may be able to identify more of the team than I can recall. The Welwyn team in the picture consisted of
Sir - Now 86 years of age, I've just come across a Welwyn Times photo cutting from 1949 that may be of special interest to ancients like myself, who may be able to identify more of the team than I can recall.
The Welwyn team in the picture consisted of three Welshmen, one South African, two Scots, one Irish and eight Englishmen and in the front row, from right to left, we can see John Gray second, myself third and Tom Murray (captain) fourth with Leighton Brooks fifth.
In the back row, from right to left, Mel Williams first, the South African third and Don Suttarsby fourth.
Mel Williams, a fine full back, was, at some stage, a flight engineer on the ill fated 'Comet'. John Gray, ex Royal Navy, was a double blue from Oxford University, and in the famous set of athletes that included Roger Bannister, immortal for his less-than-four-minute mile.
You may also want to watch:
John was a middle distance athlete, I believe (880 yards), Tom Murray was an Irishman, and one of identical twins, who often confused referees when they played together. Leighton Brooks, a fine front row forward, was ex RAF.
The South African had a Rolls Royce Silver Ghost that enabled almost half of the team to travel on away games.
- 1 'Confusion of legal status' sees public path fenced off
- 2 Drug dealer sentenced to more than five years in prison
- 3 Woman injured after attack by out of control dog
- 4 Local council elections: Don't know who to vote for? See what the candidates in your area have to say
- 5 Have you seen this wanted man?
- 6 'Much harder this time around' - Father of three fighting cancer for second time in two years
- 7 'We must act now' - villagers in renewed fight to save pub
- 8 Who are our Welwyn Hatfield candidates for Local Elections 2021?
- 9 Man found with head injuries following assault
- 10 Fundraiser bakes 100 cookies to support NHS and carers as part of Captain Tom challenge
Don Suttarsby was a solid front row Yorkshireman, of immense commitment.
I played for Welwyn from 1947 as an ex-soldier in the British Army, until 1957, and under 10 captains.
All of the players bring back so many memories, and it would be so good to complete the identification of all in the photograph, and I'm certain some of your readers could do that.
Iolo Lewis, Daniells, WGC.