Remember Howard's Garden City legacy
SIR – I would like to respond to the many letters regarding the future of the Panshanger Afield and flying school. I wonder whether anyone has considered the effects on those whose are employed at the airfield, not to mention Mr Haim Mikado and his partne
SIR - I would like to respond to the many letters regarding the future of the Panshanger Afield and flying school.
I wonder whether anyone has considered the effects on those whose are employed at the airfield, not to mention Mr Haim Mikado and his partner, Sue, who have built up Panshanger airfield, from its dilapidated state to a delightful area for families and those wishing to learn to fly?
It may seem like an insignificant number of people, but added to the continual economic woes, pressure locally will mount.
Shouldn't we also take notice of news reports that state that thousands of homes, nationwide, remain unoccupied, before we start destroying our ever diminishing Green Belt?
You may also want to watch:
I've heard countless statements of how noise from the airfield is perfectly legitimate reason to close the airfield.
I suppose we should close railways lines that back onto people's houses, because they produce far more frequent noise. While we're at it, let's shut the A1(M) at Welwyn, because all that road noise must really grate.
- 1 How Welwyn's White Hart pub improvised after £100K kitchen inferno
- 2 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 3 Banned driver jailed following high-speed police chase
- 4 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 5 Conservatives hit back at Lib Dems over Local Plan collapse claims
- 6 Arrests made following stop and searches – including teenager with baton
- 7 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 8 'Another Jo Cox' - Hatfield councillor predicted MP attack months before David Amess death
- 9 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus
- 10 Isabel Hospice Lights of Love ceremonies return to celebrate the lives of loved ones lost
In fact, let's get rid of Heathrow, Luton and Stansted Airports.
See how silly this is becoming?
To quote Ebenezer Howard on what was to never happen to his Garden Cities: "The Garden City has, we will suppose, grown until it has reached a population of 32,000. How shall it grow? How shall it provide for the needs of others who will be attracted by its numerous advantages?
"Shall it build on the zone of agricultural land which is around it and thus forever destroy its right to be called a 'Garden City'?
"This disastrous result would indeed take place if the land around the town were, as is the land around our present cities, owned by private individuals anxious to make a profit out of it. For then, as the town filled up, the agricultural land would become 'ripe' for building purposes, and the beauty and healthfulness of the town would be quickly destroyed."
I suggest that if people want to lose their Green Belt, they move to London and leave us with what Mr Howard intended all those years ago.