Race for Life parking charge shame
SIR – With reference to the car parking charges at Stanborough Lakes on the day of the Race for Life… Yes, I think the council should give all the proceeds from the car parks to the charity. There was no need for parking attendants to be there. It is not
SIR - With reference to the car parking charges at Stanborough Lakes on the day of the Race for Life...
Yes, I think the council should give all the proceeds from the car parks to the charity.
There was no need for parking attendants to be there. It is not rocket science to be able to park a car.
When I arrived with my daughter Katie, who was competing in the event with a friend, I parked and was told it would be 65p. The official in the yellow jacket said - and he was heard by many people around me - that all the money was going to the charity.
You may also want to watch:
I chipped in saying why, then, did people from the charity not stand at the entrance to the car parks and take donations from motorists.
I would trust them far more than the council.
- 1 When Spielberg and Tom Hanks came to Hatfield for filming
- 2 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 3 Welwyn Garden City school raises nearly £1,000 for Isabel Hospice with annual 'Charity Day'
- 4 Headteacher 'very proud' of 'healthy and balanced' free school meal hampers
- 5 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 6 Who is Lady Danbury in new Netflix series Bridgerton?
- 7 Graduate to create original African sci-fi series for Disney+
- 8 Police appeal for public information after puppy found dead on A414
- 9 6 movies to watch on TV this week made in Herts
- 10 Scammer pretending to be a police officer stole thousands from 99-year-old man
I said to people around me at the time the man in a yellow coat with an official grin on his face was giving us a load of tosh.
In fact I said to him, are you sure all the money was going to the charity? And he said a quick 'Yes'.
Well, I now know that was a lot of bull and I hope people remember me asking him about the cost and me saying, tongue in cheek at the time, I hope he is telling the truth.
We know now he wasn't and the council just pocketed an unexpected bonus from an event to raise money for a charity that will save lives.
Shame on you, Welwyn Hatfield Council.
Bob Bryant, Ellesfield, Welwyn.
SIR - A big thank you to the kind lady who I think might have been Race for Life no.2076 who gave my daughter her fluffy pink deely boppers to wear for the race.
Elaine Giles, Redhall Drive Hatfield.