Sir – May I through your letters page make a heartfelt plea to the voting population of Welwyn Hatfield? I understand and share your frustration, anger, despair and disillusionment with politics and politicians and their Python-esque approach to running
Sir - May I through your letters page make a heartfelt plea to the voting population of Welwyn Hatfield?
I understand and share your frustration, anger, despair and disillusionment with politics and politicians and their Python-esque approach to running our county and our country, which resulted in both a low turn out and protest votes for the Tories and BNP in our recent elections.
Hatfield has a long history of betrayal by local government, its schools have been closed indiscriminately and disproportionately, its hospital was promised then snatched from us, its town centre's steady decline ignored, on the basis of much vaunted (and horrifically expensive!) plans to rebuild, which now the elections are over, we are told may not even be financially feasible!
Our MP, another Tory, chose not to attend a meeting for constituents to discuss their concerns about their town centre. Strange behaviour for a man who is a compulsive bandwagon hijacker, but possible explained by the lack of photographers; his absence was shameful and inexcusable.
So in conclusion, next time the local elections are held, please give some thought about using your vote, not in anger, but as a means of community survival (if at all possible) and listen to Roger Daltry's 'Won't get fooled again' before you make your choice.
Registering your anger and concerns about whatever is being inflicted upon us can be accommodated by writing to our local paper and we don't have to suffer yet more incompetent local representatives as a result!
- 1 TfL removes over 100 London buses after EV blaze in Potters Bar
- 2 'Garden thieves' caught on camera in Welwyn
- 3 Toyota drove ‘erratically’ during suspected drug-fuelled trip in Hatfield
- 4 Mother and daughter from WGC team up to offer food packages to struggling locals
- 5 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 6 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 7 Welwyn Garden City school earns prestigious development award
- 8 Spectacular Grade II listed home near Hatfield on the market for £3m
- 9 Herts man charged with alleged attempted robbery at village Co-op
- 10 The Crossrail connections to Hertfordshire which were never built
Come on Hatfield, let's take better care of our town, its painfully clear no-one else will.
Stockbreach Close, Hatfield.