Sir – May I through your letters page make a heartfelt plea to the voting population of Welwyn Hatfield? I understand and share your frustration, anger, despair and disillusionment with politics and politicians and their Python-esque approach to running
Sir - May I through your letters page make a heartfelt plea to the voting population of Welwyn Hatfield?
I understand and share your frustration, anger, despair and disillusionment with politics and politicians and their Python-esque approach to running our county and our country, which resulted in both a low turn out and protest votes for the Tories and BNP in our recent elections.
Hatfield has a long history of betrayal by local government, its schools have been closed indiscriminately and disproportionately, its hospital was promised then snatched from us, its town centre's steady decline ignored, on the basis of much vaunted (and horrifically expensive!) plans to rebuild, which now the elections are over, we are told may not even be financially feasible!
Our MP, another Tory, chose not to attend a meeting for constituents to discuss their concerns about their town centre. Strange behaviour for a man who is a compulsive bandwagon hijacker, but possible explained by the lack of photographers; his absence was shameful and inexcusable.
You may also want to watch:
So in conclusion, next time the local elections are held, please give some thought about using your vote, not in anger, but as a means of community survival (if at all possible) and listen to Roger Daltry's 'Won't get fooled again' before you make your choice.
Registering your anger and concerns about whatever is being inflicted upon us can be accommodated by writing to our local paper and we don't have to suffer yet more incompetent local representatives as a result!
- 1 'Another Jo Cox' - Hatfield councillor predicted MP attack months before David Amess death
- 2 Arrests made following stop and searches – including teenager with baton
- 3 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 4 Family of four ‘distraught’ living in single hotel room for nearly five months after house fire
- 5 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 6 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 7 How Welwyn's White Hart pub improvised after £100K kitchen inferno
- 8 Banned driver jailed following high-speed police chase
- 9 County success for Phil Embleton while Brookmans Park golfers enjoy annual highlight
- 10 The Proclaimers to headline Folk by the Oak in Hatfield Park
Come on Hatfield, let's take better care of our town, its painfully clear no-one else will.
Stockbreach Close, Hatfield.