Poppy Day is here again
SIR – With our Poppy Appeal for 2008 only a few weeks away, I would like to advise everyone that poppies will be on display at shops in the WGC area from Saturday October 25. House-to-house collections will take place from the same date.
SIR - With our Poppy Appeal for 2008 only a few weeks away, I would like to advise everyone that poppies will be on display at shops in the WGC area from Saturday October 25. House-to-house collections will take place from the same date. From Saturday November 1 we will have manned displays at The Howard Centre, Waitrose, John Lewis and Morrisons.
Remembrance Day this year is November 9, Armistice Day is November 11.
Every year people complain to our collectors that TV presenters and others, are seen wearing poppies before they are on display in the shops and at our collection sites around the town. The problem is that often "selling" poppies is confused with "wearing" them.
The law says that we can only conduct a street collections on dates that our licence stipulates. However if you choose to wear a poppy for 365 days you break no law. High profile individuals on television etc, who wear poppies, do provide invaluable PR for Remembrance time.
You may also want to watch:
Remembrance Day this year is 9th November 9, Armistice Day is November11.
The branch thank everyone for their support in2007 which raised over £30,000, our highest amount ever.
- 1 The changing nature of Potters Bar high street
- 2 Man drowns in Stanborough Lakes
- 3 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 4 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 5 Football fanatic honoured with FA award for services to grassroots game
- 6 'A day none of us will forget' - Princess Anne visits Lister Hospital
- 7 New Sexy Beasts dating show for Netflix filmed in Hertfordshire
- 8 7 top tourist attractions to visit in Hertfordshire during the summer holidays
- 9 Grant Shapps 'completely opposed' to closure of QEII Urgent Care Centre at night
- 10 Unanimous vote to close overnight service at Welwyn Garden City Urgent Care Centre
Ray Crawley, Royal British Legion WGC Branch.