Poppy Day is here again
SIR – With our Poppy Appeal for 2008 only a few weeks away, I would like to advise everyone that poppies will be on display at shops in the WGC area from Saturday October 25. House-to-house collections will take place from the same date.
SIR - With our Poppy Appeal for 2008 only a few weeks away, I would like to advise everyone that poppies will be on display at shops in the WGC area from Saturday October 25. House-to-house collections will take place from the same date. From Saturday November 1 we will have manned displays at The Howard Centre, Waitrose, John Lewis and Morrisons.
Remembrance Day this year is November 9, Armistice Day is November 11.
Every year people complain to our collectors that TV presenters and others, are seen wearing poppies before they are on display in the shops and at our collection sites around the town. The problem is that often "selling" poppies is confused with "wearing" them.
The law says that we can only conduct a street collections on dates that our licence stipulates. However if you choose to wear a poppy for 365 days you break no law. High profile individuals on television etc, who wear poppies, do provide invaluable PR for Remembrance time.
You may also want to watch:
Remembrance Day this year is 9th November 9, Armistice Day is November11.
The branch thank everyone for their support in2007 which raised over £30,000, our highest amount ever.
- 1 ‘It’s been a great day!’ - Businesses and customers delight as shops, hairdressers and pubs reopen
- 2 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 3 Care home resident celebrates 102nd birthday
- 4 Residents urged to comment on Wheat Quarter proposals
- 5 Michael Bublé's Hatfield concert postponed until July 2022
- 6 'Dangerous' man imprisoned for sexual assault in Hatfield
- 7 Clinic launched at sports village to help 'long COVID' sufferers
- 8 RSPCA appeal to help seriously injured 'miracle cat' Trudie after she's hit by a bus
- 9 Shoppers encouraged to stay safe as lockdown eases
- 10 Which pubs are reopening in Welwyn and Hatfield on April 12?
Ray Crawley, Royal British Legion WGC Branch.