Poppy Appeal thank you
SIR – On behalf of The Royal British Legion, I would like to thank members of the council, Hertfordshire Constabulary and members of the army, navy and air cadets who provided the guards of honour at the Howardsgate and Hatfield Hyde Memorials, plus all
SIR - On behalf of The Royal British Legion, I would like to thank members of the council, Hertfordshire Constabulary and members of the army, navy and air cadets who provided the guards of honour at the Howardsgate and Hatfield Hyde Memorials, plus all other organisations for ensuring that the two Remembrance Services were a success.
Once again members of the public attended both ceremonies in greater numbers than before.
It was also noted by members of The British Legion that the public again appeared to be more in sympathy with this year's appeal, no doubt due to the present-day campaigns whose unfortunate casualties the Poppy Appeal is helping.
The Poppy Appeal is successful only because of the co-operation of the borough council, public volunteers and the management of the Howared Centre and Waitrose and Morrisons supermarkets.
You may also want to watch:
Unfortunately we did not have enough volunteers to collect at John Lewis and Sainsbury's; let us hope that we can do so next year.
At the time of writing, thank you cards and posters are being sent to schools, retailers and businesses who assisted the Poppy Appeal.
- 1 Man drowns in Stanborough Lakes
- 2 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 3 Welwyn nursery manager meets Boris Johnson at Downing Street reception
- 4 Unanimous vote to close overnight service at Welwyn Garden City Urgent Care Centre
- 5 Grant Shapps 'completely opposed' to closure of QEII Urgent Care Centre at night
- 6 New Sexy Beasts dating show for Netflix filmed in Hertfordshire
- 7 Young girl ‘shaken’ after phone placed under toilet cubicle
- 8 New free live music event set for Hertford Castle's grounds
- 9 Henry Moore Foundation in Hertfordshire appears in new Fake or Fortune? series on BBC One
- 10 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
I would now like to thank the citizens of Welwyn Garden and visitors for their donations to what looks likely to be a sum of once again over £26,000. The current appeal finishes at the end of May 2009 so the final figure will not be known until then.
Apart from the money spent on the provision of poppies, wreaths and the actual appeal itself all the money collected for the Poppy Appeal is credited to the central benevolent fund of the Royal British Legion.
The money raised by this borough is therefore greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Ray Crawley, Hon Poppy Appeal organiser, The Royal British Legion, WGC Branch.