SIR – I am sure I am not alone in being unsurprised at the apparent scrapping of the Hatfield town centre regeneration plans. As the gap between Welwyn Garden City and Hatfield widens this latest development is just another in a series of moves which broa
SIR - I am sure I am not alone in being unsurprised at the apparent scrapping of the Hatfield town centre regeneration plans. As the gap between Welwyn Garden City and Hatfield widens this latest development is just another in a series of moves which broaden the divide, both aesthetically and socially, between the two towns.
Hatfield appears destined to be the poor relation, always overlooked, underfunded, badly developed in terms of housing and of course, badly dressed (the Christmas decorations in Hatfield are an eyesore, to say the least).
I do not begrudge the development and continued care and work that goes into making WGC such a nice place to live and visit, however, I do argue that Hatfield's needs at this time are greater.
My question, as a Hatfield resident, that I would like to direct at all parties, all government representatives, and anyone who is supposed to be working on behalf of the people of Hatfield - what have you done for me lately?
You may also want to watch:
Hatfield Forum? Gone.
Hatfield town centre? Oops!
- 1 Rural land near Welwyn to go on sale next month
- 2 Family of four ‘distraught’ after living in single hotel room for nearly five months after house fire
- 3 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 4 £45m housing development to be showcased as buyers get chance to select home
- 5 Meet the woman behind Welwyn Garden City’s Halloween postbox topper
- 6 Lloyds announce branch closure to leave Hatfield with one bank
- 7 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 8 How was womanising Hatfield policeman allowed to work promoting female safety?
- 9 Hatfield curry house is hot stuff after being named nation’s best
- 10 Welwyn Garden City murder-suicide: Grief-stricken family release statement
Christmas decorations? Please!
Hatfield should be one of the most highly regarded places in this part of the country. We have Hatfield House and gardens, a fantastic and always improving university, brilliant rail and road links to the rest of the country, easily accessible air links to the rest of the world, and most importantly a population of great and diverse people.
Why do they want to keep Hatfield back? What or who is at work behind the scenes?
Molly Draper, Hillcrest, Hatfield.