Police letter comments
SIR - I am writing in response to James Matthews response to my letter on police. I agree with him that the Government has been unfair in agreeing to an independent pay review - then ignoring it. Perhaps the police won t be naive as to trust the Govern
SIR - I am writing in response to James Matthews' response to my letter on police.
I agree with him that the Government has been unfair in agreeing to an independent pay review - then ignoring it.
Perhaps the police won't be naive as to trust the Government on this issue and others again!
I would like to comment on the points he raised.
You may also want to watch:
1. He says British police aren't the best paid in the world. If you count a very generous pension scheme you will find that they are. I note that he did not refute that Metroplitan Police officers earn up to twice their New York counterparts. Police pay in the UK is significantly higher than in other EU countries ...and with a very attractive pension package.
2. I admit there should be a fair pay settlement scheme. But surely it is right police officers, like prison officers, firefighters, doctors, nurses and the armed forces should not be allowed to strike.
- 1 The changing nature of Potters Bar high street
- 2 Water safety advice issued following lake drowning
- 3 New report reveals 28 Covid deaths at Hatfield care home
- 4 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 5 Man drowns in Stanborough Lakes
- 6 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 7 Football fanatic honoured with FA award for services to grassroots game
- 8 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 9 New Sexy Beasts dating show for Netflix filmed in Hertfordshire
- 10 'A day none of us will forget' - Princess Anne visits Lister Hospital
3. The police are better paid than teachers. Teachers work long hours and do not finish at 3.30 in the afternoon. An awful lot of time is spent on preparation, marking and attending teachers' meetings.
On top of that they have to cover for absent colleagues (usually with zero notice). Teachers are graduates unlike the police who only have to pass a very simple test that a primary school child could pass!