SIR – Shame on you, rats of the sky indeed! Racing pigeons are the supreme athlete, cultivated over the last 200years. Dependent on weather conditions they can attain speeds from 30 to 100 mph for distances of 1,000 plus miles. No jockey, no track to run
SIR - Shame on you, rats of the sky indeed!
Racing pigeons are the supreme athlete, cultivated over the last 200years.
Dependent on weather conditions they can attain speeds from 30 to 100 mph for distances of 1,000 plus miles.
No jockey, no track to run around, just a love of home.
You may also want to watch:
It's one of the few hobbies(sports) that has a level playing field; young, old, wealthy, not so wealthy and disabled, of any gender, can participate.
And yes we are accountable to governing bodies; DEFRA for instance can and does stop us racing and showing on a whim.
- 1 Hollywood heads to Hertfordshire with £700m Sunset Studios film and TV development plans announced
- 2 Free gift card when you park in Welwyn Garden City this summer
- 3 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 Roll up! Roll up! Hatfield goes to the circus!
- 6 Support for Bukayo Saka continues as youth football team delivers shirt to England's Euro 2020 star
- 7 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 8 'Welwyn will no longer have the right to call itself a garden city' - warning over development plans for Broadwater Road
- 9 Do you remember when Grange Hill was filmed in Hatfield?
- 10 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
So my friend whoever you are. Rats of the sky never! Pocket rockets maybe. Sixteen ounces of pure guts, just another marvel of nature and man's ingenuity.
So please don't condemn out of hand. Get to know your foe before you commit yourself to war.
On a lighter note, unlike you and I they cannot be taught use the loo, hence manna from heaven.
J Pilsworth, Hitchin.