People in glass houses should not throw stones
Sir – I have just received a letter, and I suspect many others have as well, from Cllr John Dean entitled Hatfield Town Centre – What s Going On. He cites things he will do such as new toilets, CCTV, etc. All these things the residents listed as a start
Sir - I have just received a letter, and I suspect many others have as well, from Cllr John Dean entitled Hatfield Town Centre - What's Going On.
He cites things he will do such as new toilets, CCTV, etc. All these things the residents listed as a start to help make the town centre a bit more liveable. Very nice.
What a shame about the claim "Taking the council from near bankruptcy to a stable balance". In 2001 the council had a fully balanced budget with wonderful projections for the future, a year later the Tories took control, and have been there since, a whole six years.
If there was any financial "quirk", six years would, to anyone else, be plenty of time to solve it and without getting into trouble with the district auditor. In the meantime, they have cut staff levels to the bone and privatised everything they can, with a consequence of longer waits for anything to be dealt with plus inadequately monitored standards of work as a result of lower numbers of staff/employees. Grounds maintenance is a good example.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Dean finishes his letter complaining that "some very unpleasant politically motivated propaganda has been coming through your door". Who started it by withholding the information on the town centre for a month so he could win an all-out election? People in glass houses should not throw stones.
Andrew Tinsley, (former Labour leader, Welwyn Hatfield Council).
- 1 Hollywood heads to Hertfordshire with £700m Sunset Studios film and TV development plans announced
- 2 Free gift card when you park in Welwyn Garden City this summer
- 3 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 Roll up! Roll up! Hatfield goes to the circus!
- 6 Support for Bukayo Saka continues as youth football team delivers shirt to England's Euro 2020 star
- 7 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 8 Do you remember when Grange Hill was filmed in Hatfield?
- 9 'Welwyn will no longer have the right to call itself a garden city' - warning over development plans for Broadwater Road
- 10 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed