Our new grit box is empty
Sir – I have been driven to writing to you in order to try to shame Welwyn Hatfield Council into action. Last winter we experienced a heavy fall of snow and while the council did grit the major roads, minor roads did not receive any treatment, with the r
Sir - I have been driven to writing to you in order to try to shame Welwyn Hatfield Council into action.
Last winter we experienced a heavy fall of snow and while the council did grit the major roads, minor roads did not receive any treatment, with the result that few people in Cuffley, which is built on a hill, could use their cars.
My son lost a day's pay and, more importantly, a neighbour nearly slid into a group of children sledging on the pavement as he attempted to drive his wife to an important hospital appointment.
I approached the council to try to get them to clear our street but I met a blank refusal. However, after about four conversations with various council officers it was agreed that they would look to see if it was possible to install a grit box so that we, the residents, could treat the road ourselves.
You may also want to watch:
In due course, after another four conversations and a similar number of emails it was agreed we should have the box. But we had to wait until July before the box arrived.
Stupidly, I assumed that as the box had been installed it actually contained salt or grit. It was only at the beginning of last month when we had a frost that I opened the box and discovered it empty.
- 1 Welwyn Garden City murder-suicide: Grief-stricken family release statement
- 2 How was womanising Hatfield policeman allowed to work promoting female safety?
- 3 Hatfield curry house is hot stuff after being named nation’s best
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 Aldi eyeing new Hertfordshire store locations
- 6 Congratulations! See Sir Cliff Richard's The Great 80 Tour live in cinemas
- 7 Banned driver jailed following high-speed police chase
- 8 As Michael Keaton's Batman returns, Knebworth House features in first teaser for The Flash movie
- 9 Arrests made following stop and searches – including teenager with baton
- 10 Woman verbally abused and threatened at petrol station
I am emailing the council regularly but there is always some excuse as to why it cannot be filled. Of course, there is a very real chance we will need to treat the roads before winter is over but perhaps that is why the council will not fill the box with grit. They are afraid we will actually use it.
Tolmers Gardens, Cuffley.