Others have worked also
SIR – Jim Westlake s letter (July 9) made me giggle. His general complaint seemed to be that people were re-writing history, making false assertions and repeating outright lies about Grant Shapps. Serious stuff. And then he writes that Mr Shapps is
SIR - Jim Westlake's letter (July 9) made me giggle.
His general complaint seemed to be that people were re-writing history, making 'false assertions' and 'repeating outright lies' about Grant Shapps.
And then he writes that Mr Shapps is the first MP who 'works bloody hard' for the local community 'in Welwyn Hatfield history'.
You may also want to watch:
Can this be true?
I seem to remember Helene Hayman, who did a lot for women (who presumably make up some of the local community) and who was popular enough to secure a vote well above Labour's national average during her defeat in 1979.
- 1 Rural land near Welwyn to go on sale next month
- 2 Sky Studios Elstree starts recruitment drive ahead of planned 2022 opening
- 3 Meet the woman behind Welwyn Garden City’s Halloween postbox topper
- 4 £45m housing development to be showcased as buyers get chance to select home
- 5 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 6 9 questions to decide how Welwyn Garden City you are!
- 7 Family of four ‘distraught’ after living in single hotel room for nearly five months after house fire
- 8 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 9 Primary school receives award for excellence in science education
- 10 Lloyds announce branch closure to leave Hatfield with one bank
And, from the other side of the fence, we had David Evans. I personally hated his politics, but one could not fault his attendance or voting record in the House of Commons, which was regularly one of the highest among members of parliament.
I know Mr Shapps' fans like to portray him as some form of political Kevin Keegan - all wide-eyed enthusiasm and bundles of energy. But he's not the first to work hard for Welwyn Hatfield and it's rather insulting to our intelligence to suggest that he is.
Dr Drew Whitelegg,