Others have worked also
SIR – Jim Westlake s letter (July 9) made me giggle. His general complaint seemed to be that people were re-writing history, making false assertions and repeating outright lies about Grant Shapps. Serious stuff. And then he writes that Mr Shapps is
SIR - Jim Westlake's letter (July 9) made me giggle.
His general complaint seemed to be that people were re-writing history, making 'false assertions' and 'repeating outright lies' about Grant Shapps.
And then he writes that Mr Shapps is the first MP who 'works bloody hard' for the local community 'in Welwyn Hatfield history'.
You may also want to watch:
Can this be true?
I seem to remember Helene Hayman, who did a lot for women (who presumably make up some of the local community) and who was popular enough to secure a vote well above Labour's national average during her defeat in 1979.
- 1 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 2 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 3 When is Team GB cycling star Laura Kenny in action at Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
- 4 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
- 5 Do you remember when Grange Hill was filmed in Hatfield?
- 6 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 7 Welwyn Garden City named Hertfordshire’s sexiest place
- 8 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 9 'This is history!' - 25 facts about the Oasis concerts at Knebworth Park 25 years ago
- 10 New Sexy Beasts dating show for Netflix filmed in Hertfordshire
And, from the other side of the fence, we had David Evans. I personally hated his politics, but one could not fault his attendance or voting record in the House of Commons, which was regularly one of the highest among members of parliament.
I know Mr Shapps' fans like to portray him as some form of political Kevin Keegan - all wide-eyed enthusiasm and bundles of energy. But he's not the first to work hard for Welwyn Hatfield and it's rather insulting to our intelligence to suggest that he is.
Dr Drew Whitelegg,