No to flats, yes to community centre
Sir – The request for planning permission by Abbey Developments to build flats on the long vacant site of the Roe Green Centre, previously known as the Cavendish Hall, is bad news for residents of this part of Hatfield. We do not need more flats, afford
Sir - The request for planning permission by Abbey Developments to build flats on the long vacant site of the Roe Green Centre, previously known as the Cavendish Hall, is bad news for residents of this part of Hatfield.
We do not need more flats, "affordable" or otherwise in Hatfield, what we do need is a community centre to serve all the areas at present without suitable facilities, namely Roe Green, the lower end of Bishops Rise and Ellenbrook.
The whole of the de Havilland development is also without a suitable community facility apart from the small hall attached to Howe Dell School.
A family pub, yet to be built and bar/restaurants in the district centre do not provide adequately for all ages and interests.
You may also want to watch:
Years ago we had The Forum, never replaced for a town with now double the population.
In contrast, the university is to spend £28m on a nightclub.
- 1 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 2 John Lewis to reopen Welwyn Garden City store on April 12
- 3 RSPCA appeal to help seriously injured 'miracle cat' Trudie after she's hit by a bus
- 4 Second major film and TV studios plan revealed for site near Sky Studios Elstree
- 5 Which pubs are reopening in Welwyn and Hatfield on April 12?
- 6 Isabel Hospice 'excited' to reopen charity shops on April 12
- 7 'Dangerous' man imprisoned for sexual assault in Hatfield
- 8 Where has the Duke of Edinburgh visited in Hertfordshire?
- 9 Residents urged to comment on Wheat Quarter proposals
- 10 Welwyn Garden City John Lewis survives as retailer announces closures
I trust the borough council will turn down this proposal by Abbey Development and consider the needs of the long-suffering residents of Hatfield.
J Olver, St Albans Road West, Hatfield.