No snow dispute between councils
SIR – We read with interest the letter from the WGC Society and would like to state there is no dispute between Welwyn Hatfield Council and Hertfordshire County Council.
Both authorities know each other’s responsibilities fully – there is no confusion.
As stated in the main editorial of the paper (January 13), Hertfordshire County Council is responsible for paths and highways, but during times of severe weather relies on the assistance of district councils to help keep pavements clear.
During the first few days of the cold weather the borough council had to direct resources towards priorities other than clearing pavements and since then has regularly assisted the county council in clearing paths/areas of snow following suspension of borough council refuse and recycling services.
The borough council also works with the county council in clearing leaves from footpaths.
You may also want to watch:
Lessons have been learned since the cold snap last February and the arrangement for mutual assistance has been a lot better during this period of snow and ice.
The borough council also has a priority list of areas, under its responsibility, that it has cleared during the cold weather.
- 1 Headteacher 'very proud' of 'healthy and balanced' free school meal hampers
- 2 GP practice vaccinated 1,000 people in first week
- 3 Police appeal for public information after puppy found dead on A414
- 4 'Heavy snow' expected across Hertfordshire from tomorrow
- 5 Two people rescued after flood warnings issued
- 6 Knife reportedly used to rob man in his 20s outside Co-op ATM
- 7 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 8 Party organiser fined £10,000 after 150 people attend gathering
- 9 Officer injured and music equipment and alcohol seized after party
- 10 New lease of life for shop in historic Old Hatfield
To provide the best service at the best value for the community, both authorities have a good working relationship and continually negotiate on improving services.
The ‘squabble’ suggested in the letter is unfounded.
Councillor Colin Couch,
Welwyn Hatfield Council.
Councillor Stuart Pile,
Executive member for highways and transport,
Hertfordshire County Council.