No snow dispute between councils
SIR – We read with interest the letter from the WGC Society and would like to state there is no dispute between Welwyn Hatfield Council and Hertfordshire County Council.
Both authorities know each other’s responsibilities fully – there is no confusion.
As stated in the main editorial of the paper (January 13), Hertfordshire County Council is responsible for paths and highways, but during times of severe weather relies on the assistance of district councils to help keep pavements clear.
During the first few days of the cold weather the borough council had to direct resources towards priorities other than clearing pavements and since then has regularly assisted the county council in clearing paths/areas of snow following suspension of borough council refuse and recycling services.
The borough council also works with the county council in clearing leaves from footpaths.
You may also want to watch:
Lessons have been learned since the cold snap last February and the arrangement for mutual assistance has been a lot better during this period of snow and ice.
The borough council also has a priority list of areas, under its responsibility, that it has cleared during the cold weather.
- 1 Water safety advice issued following lake drowning
- 2 New report reveals 28 Covid deaths at Hatfield care home
- 3 The changing nature of Potters Bar high street
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 Community reacts to closure of overnight Urgent Care Centre service at New QEII Hospital
- 6 Man drowns in Stanborough Lakes
- 7 New Sexy Beasts dating show for Netflix filmed in Hertfordshire
- 8 Skills the way forward for Hertfordshire’s Covid recovery as new strategy launched
- 9 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 10 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
To provide the best service at the best value for the community, both authorities have a good working relationship and continually negotiate on improving services.
The ‘squabble’ suggested in the letter is unfounded.
Councillor Colin Couch,
Welwyn Hatfield Council.
Councillor Stuart Pile,
Executive member for highways and transport,
Hertfordshire County Council.