No council homes sell-off
SIR – I ask this question on behalf of all Welwyn and Hatfield council tenants: How many other ways will the council try to disguise their wish to sell off the housing stock? Today I received a glossy brochure inviting me, and other tenants, to get
SIR - I ask this question on behalf of all Welwyn and Hatfield council tenants: How many other ways will the council try to disguise their wish to sell off the housing stock?
Today I received a glossy brochure inviting me, and other tenants, to get involved in the setting-up of a "Community Housing Trust". The brochure went on to explain how we can all have a say in how the service is run and promised there would be no changes to our rights as tenants, nor would it see any changes to the way they provide the service. This, they assure us, is because we would be served by the same staff who would transfer to the new organisation. This is just another number of council jobs that will be sold down the river along with the houses and tenants.
As for promises, did we not hear similar promises when they put all the other services out to contract - eg grounds maintenance, rubbish collections, housing repairs - and look at the level of service we now get from them?
I urge everyone to read the brochure very carefully and not to be fooled by the glossy pictures and its feeble promises that we can actually have a say that will be listened too as this is clearly another back-handed tactic by the council to rid itself of yet another service.
Stand up for your rights and insist that COUNCIL HOUSES remain as exactly that.
Name and address supplied
- 1 Hertfordshire zoo Paradise Wildlife Park to temporarily close to the public in January
- 2 Man in stable condition following Hatfield stabbing
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 Here's what we know so far about the new Covid variant
- 5 Concerns raised over structural integrity of Shredded Wheat factory building
- 6 15 adorable rescue pets in Hertfordshire looking for loving new homes this Christmas
- 7 How Hertfordshire’s coronavirus figures compare to last year's lockdown
- 8 Sir Elton John to play two Hertfordshire shows at Watford FC's Vicarage Road ground in 2022
- 9 Fire at University of Hertfordshire destroys kitchen
- 10 Motorcyclist "seriously" injured after car crash in Welwyn Garden City