Never leave without it
SIR – We are very fortunate to have two lovely grand-daughters who live in Schull and they have been our introduction to the joys of West Cork. We have spent many holidays in the area and have come to appreciate the rugged beauty of its island landscape a
SIR - We are very fortunate to have two lovely grand-daughters who live in Schull and they have been our introduction to the joys of West Cork.
We have spent many holidays in the area and have come to appreciate the rugged beauty of its island landscape and the quiet tranquillity of of its meandering lanes.
We were surprised on one of our visits to the local supermarket to be informed that it no longer supplied plastic carrier bags, but we could purchase a re-usable canvas one on payment of a reasonable fee.
That was our introduction to the little 'Irish Shopper'; a fold-flat, dark green canvas bag with a flat bottom, which holds all the shopping that I can comfortably carry.
You may also want to watch:
After the initial shock of the 'no plastic bags' rule we came to appreciate the good sense of the immediate cut-off plan and quickly adjusted to the re-usable carrier. It is our constant companion and we never leave home without it.
Our local supermarket still provides plastic bags, but we take great pride in refusing them, while saying we have our own and producing our little 'Irish Shopper'.
- 1 Hollywood heads to Hertfordshire with £700m Sunset Studios film and TV development plans announced
- 2 Free gift card when you park in Welwyn Garden City this summer
- 3 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 Roll up! Roll up! Hatfield goes to the circus!
- 6 Support for Bukayo Saka continues as youth football team delivers shirt to England's Euro 2020 star
- 7 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 8 'Welwyn will no longer have the right to call itself a garden city' - warning over development plans for Broadwater Road
- 9 Do you remember when Grange Hill was filmed in Hatfield?
- 10 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
I cannot remember how long we have had it - about four years - but it is still going strong without any signs of wear.
If only we had been bold and grasped the problem when it first arose here, our countryside would be a far more pleasant place.