Neighbourhood watch plea
SIR – I am the Neighbourhood Watch (NHW) community coordinator for Welwyn Hatfield and I read with concern (WHT, October 8) about distraction burglars in Cuffley who duped residents by pretending to have crashed into their car. While I cannot guarantee
SIR - I am the Neighbourhood Watch (NHW) community coordinator for Welwyn Hatfield and I read with concern (WHT, October 8) about distraction burglars in Cuffley who duped residents by pretending to have crashed into their car.
While I cannot guarantee that membership of NHW and crime prevention advice from the police via OWL (NHW's Online Watch Link) would have prevented this particular crime, it does frustrate me that NHW coordinators in Northaw and Cuffley and Brookmans Park will not recommend OWL to their residents.
OWL is a great instant communication tool that allows police and NHW coordinators to send alerts via email, telephone and text to residents across the district, warning them of local crimes and incidents and giving topical and seasonal crime prevention advice.
All it takes to receive these emails is for an individual's name, address and email address to be loaded onto the system. The Northaw & Cuffley and Brookmans Park NHW co-ordinators have decided unilaterally to reject this
You may also want to watch:
crime reduction innovation, opting instead for word of mouth and notes through letter boxes.
Every other ward in the district is onboard with OWL but the residents of Northaw, Cuffley and Brookmans Park are missing out without knowing what they are missing.
- 1 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 2 John Lewis to reopen Welwyn Garden City store on April 12
- 3 RSPCA appeal to help seriously injured 'miracle cat' Trudie after she's hit by a bus
- 4 Second major film and TV studios plan revealed for site near Sky Studios Elstree
- 5 Which pubs are reopening in Welwyn and Hatfield on April 12?
- 6 'Dangerous' man imprisoned for sexual assault in Hatfield
- 7 Isabel Hospice 'excited' to reopen charity shops on April 12
- 8 Residents urged to comment on Wheat Quarter proposals
- 9 Where has the Duke of Edinburgh visited in Hertfordshire?
- 10 Welwyn Garden City John Lewis survives as retailer announces closures
Isn't it time someone told them. If any member of these communities would like to receive OWL messages simply visit www.owl.co.uk and click on the Watch Finder tab.
Ian Colpitts, Elmoor Avenue, Welwyn.