Much asked of Obama
Sir – While wishing the very best to Barack Obama, I fail to understand the almost hysterical reaction sweeping the world as a result of the presidential election in America. The similarities between Obama and Jack Kennedy are amazing – both were very you
Sir - While wishing the very best to Barack Obama, I fail to understand the almost hysterical reaction sweeping the world as a result of the presidential election in America.
The similarities between Obama and Jack Kennedy are amazing - both were very young when they entered the White House, both broke "the mould" in their own way, and both are or were first-class orators able to attract the voters especially the young and the liberal element.
What did Jack Kennedy achieve? Not a great deal, it has to be said. The event the Bay of Pigs, the lack of progress in Vietnam and the need for his successor to end the racial problems of America will always be Jack Kennedy's legacy.
As for Obama, one could safely say that he lacks political experience and a clear agenda. To call for change is all very well but then every politician calls for change when challenging the incumbent opposition party. His stated policies seem to me to be few and far between.
You may also want to watch:
So I can only hope that President Obama is able to fulfil the high expectations that the American people and indeed the entire world have of him. If he fulfils even part of those he will go down in history as one of the greats.
Tony Wilder, Stonehills, WGC.
- 1 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 2 John Lewis to reopen Welwyn Garden City store on April 12
- 3 RSPCA appeal to help seriously injured 'miracle cat' Trudie after she's hit by a bus
- 4 Second major film and TV studios plan revealed for site near Sky Studios Elstree
- 5 Which pubs are reopening in Welwyn and Hatfield on April 12?
- 6 Isabel Hospice 'excited' to reopen charity shops on April 12
- 7 'Dangerous' man imprisoned for sexual assault in Hatfield
- 8 Where has the Duke of Edinburgh visited in Hertfordshire?
- 9 Residents urged to comment on Wheat Quarter proposals
- 10 Welwyn Garden City John Lewis survives as retailer announces closures