MP Shapps' empty properties update
SIR – Your letter writer Peter Bell has written to the Welwyn & Hatfield Times to ask how our Empty Property Rescue scheme, which I launched with David Cameron recently, would measure up in Welwyn Hatfield. Just to recap, the idea is that some of the one
SIR - Your letter writer Peter Bell has written to the Welwyn & Hatfield Times to ask how our Empty Property Rescue scheme, which I launched with David Cameron recently, would measure up in Welwyn Hatfield.
Just to recap, the idea is that some of the one million empty properties throughout the UK could be better used to accommodate the all-time record 1.8m families who languish on housing waiting lists. These are social housing waiting lists which have, incidentally, nearly doubled under Labour.
Mr Bell is particularly interested in the number of empty properties in Welwyn Hatfield. At a national level the independent charity, Empty Homes Agency, surveys the number of empty dwellings and breaks that down into each region of the country. I've checked and can confirm that out of 49 local authorities in our region, Welwyn Hatfield is ranked as the fifth best.
Of course empty properties come in all shapes and sizes and these figures include both private and publically-owned properties.
You may also want to watch:
No-one likes to see properties empty and I have recently investigated and reported back on some which have been brought to my attention with full details published on the Panshanger section of the Welwyn Hatfield Forum.
Grant Shapps MP
- 1 Driving scheme for 10 to 17 year olds launches in Hatfield
- 2 Is Hertfordshire set to become the new British Hollywood?
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 Pregnant woman jailed for more than two years for killing cyclist
- 5 Enjoy the park but treat it with the respect it deserves, says manager
- 6 Rail passengers warned of three-day closure at London King's Cross station
- 7 Tributes to 'fearless and magnificent' former Queenswood School pupil and Peaky Blinders star Helen McCrory
- 8 Fantastic florist and art gallery opens in Hatfield following lockdown easing
- 9 Local COVID-19 contact tracing service now up and running
- 10 School donates textbooks to help communities in Kenya