MP’s ‘impressive and informative performance’
SIR – The countdown to the General Election is now gathering pace so it is time for us all to focus our minds on who we want to govern us for the next four years.
To make the right decision we need to know where our elected representatives stand on the many issues facing our country and locality.
I urge all residents of Welwyn Hatfield to take advantage of our MP Grant Shapps’ invitation to attend his Grant Unscripted public meetings, a series of which is currently being held throughout the borough.
The first meeting was held at Beales Hotel in Hatfield and Mr Shapps’ offer to answer “any question under the sun” without advance warning was taken up with enthusiasm by the packed audience.
Mr Shapps answered a wide range of questions covering national and local matters including the economy, the latest plan for the redevelopment of Hatfield town centre, local healthcare and the relationship between the university and Hatfield.
You may also want to watch:
Much anger was expressed over alleged anti-social behaviour by some students that, it is claimed, continues to blight the life of residents, especially in Salisbury Village.
Unfortunately, lack of time meant that some questions went unanswered on the night, but mine were later submitted by email and were quickly responded to.
- 1 Police attend funeral as residents voice concerns about 'social distancing'
- 2 COVID-19: Welwyn Hatfield tops Hertfordshire for cases per 100,000
- 3 Golf club has dozens of buggy batteries stolen in one day
- 4 More than 20 arrested following major Welwyn Hatfield county lines drugs operation
- 5 Herts and West Essex boast highest vaccination figures in East of England
- 6 Coroner rules Joy Morgan death 'unlawful killing' but finds no cause at inquest
- 7 Local Plan: Inspector has concerns over why Green Belt sites were removed
- 8 Man sentenced to three years in prison for breaking girlfriend's jaw
- 9 Mum-of-four loses six stone in just over a year after being unable to play with her youngest child
- 10 'Horrific' abuser who 'showed no remorse' sentenced
Mr Shapps gave an impressive, interesting and informative performance and the opportunity to question him should not be missed.
Dates and venues of future Shapps Unscripted meetings can be obtained by ringing 01707 262 632 or via his website at www.shapps.com/unscripted.
Tickets are free but need to be pre-ordered.