MP’s ‘impressive and informative performance’
SIR – The countdown to the General Election is now gathering pace so it is time for us all to focus our minds on who we want to govern us for the next four years.
To make the right decision we need to know where our elected representatives stand on the many issues facing our country and locality.
I urge all residents of Welwyn Hatfield to take advantage of our MP Grant Shapps’ invitation to attend his Grant Unscripted public meetings, a series of which is currently being held throughout the borough.
The first meeting was held at Beales Hotel in Hatfield and Mr Shapps’ offer to answer “any question under the sun” without advance warning was taken up with enthusiasm by the packed audience.
Mr Shapps answered a wide range of questions covering national and local matters including the economy, the latest plan for the redevelopment of Hatfield town centre, local healthcare and the relationship between the university and Hatfield.
Much anger was expressed over alleged anti-social behaviour by some students that, it is claimed, continues to blight the life of residents, especially in Salisbury Village.
Unfortunately, lack of time meant that some questions went unanswered on the night, but mine were later submitted by email and were quickly responded to.
- 1 Omicron variant: Confirmed case in Hertfordshire says health boss Jim McManus
- 2 Suspected stabbing in Welwyn Garden City
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 A1(M) closed in both directions due to fallen cables
- 5 Closures lifted on A1(M) after emergency services deem road safe
- 6 Purse stolen from 74-year-old woman
- 7 County lines drug runners jailed after undercover police sting
- 8 Meet the authors behind a new architecture book on Welwyn and Welwyn Garden City
- 9 Where can you get a walk-in booster in Welwyn Hatfield this week?
- 10 County lines drug dealer jailed for more than seven years
Mr Shapps gave an impressive, interesting and informative performance and the opportunity to question him should not be missed.
Dates and venues of future Shapps Unscripted meetings can be obtained by ringing 01707 262 632 or via his website at www.shapps.com/unscripted.
Tickets are free but need to be pre-ordered.