More parking questions
SIR – The additional yellow lines on Ascots Lane, WGC, put there to resolve what had become a dangerous level of parking have been welcomed by almost everyone. However, local councillors for the area Margaret Birleson, Lynn Chesterman and I, are aware
SIR - The additional yellow lines on Ascots Lane, WGC, put there to resolve what had become a dangerous level of parking have been welcomed by almost everyone.
However, local councillors for the area Margaret Birleson, Lynn Chesterman and I, are aware that parking generated by the hospital has had a detrimental effect on nearby residential streets for some time and the additional restrictions on Ascots Lane could make this situation worse.
Residents are annoyed at the unwillingness of the local authority to enforce existing regulations to prevent parking on double yellow lines or dangerously close to junctions.
All car users have a responsibility to park legally and considerately on public streets, but take a walk around Mount Way, Ryelands and The Wade during the day and you will see many examples of inconsiderate or illegal parking.
You may also want to watch:
Residents have told us of difficulties accessing their own driveways, parking near to their homes to unload shopping or children or even getting in or out of their street.
If they ask for cars to be parked more considerately they are often met with abuse.
- 1 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 2 When is Team GB cycling star Laura Kenny in action at Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
- 5 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 6 Do you remember when Grange Hill was filmed in Hatfield?
- 7 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 8 Welwyn Garden City named Hertfordshire’s sexiest place
- 9 'This is history!' - 25 facts about the Oasis concerts at Knebworth Park 25 years ago
- 10 New Sexy Beasts dating show for Netflix filmed in Hertfordshire
Last Thursday evening at a meeting of the cabinet planning and transportation panel the scale of this problem, raised regularly by local councillors, was finally recognised by the council and as a result local residents will be consulted on a range of measures to tackle the parking issues on residential streets around the hospital.
We welcome this consultation and the opportunity it will give for residents to be involved in finding a solution to a problem they have had to suffer for far too long.
Hollybush and Howlands.