SIR – Re the speed limits mentioned by Charlie Boy Meynard (WHT, March 26). Osborn Way is restricted to 30 miles per hour because it has a system of street lighting spaced not more than 200 yards apart . This spacing can apply to posts erected on alte
SIR - Re the speed limits mentioned by Charlie Boy Meynard (WHT, March 26).
Osborn Way is restricted to 30 miles per hour because it has a system of street lighting spaced not more than 200 yards apart . This spacing can apply to posts erected on alternate sides of the road. Simple is it not?
This is an old chestnut that has been the subject of correspondence before and it must be confusing for the average road user.
The strange thing is that if 30mph repeater signs were put on the lamp posts it would invalidate the speed limit. If any other speed limit applies, then repeater signs must be erected on the lamp posts at various intervals ( 40mph, 50mph etc).
You may also want to watch:
The Constabulary are being helpful by warning of a speed limit enforcement and for a change the local authority or the county highways authority are correct on this occasion .
In my opinion the present county highways authority has a poor record of ensuring speed limit traffic signs are erected in accordance with the regulations.
- 1 Family of four ‘distraught’ living in single hotel room for nearly five months after house fire
- 2 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 3 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 4 How Welwyn's White Hart pub improvised after £100K kitchen inferno
- 5 Banned driver jailed following high-speed police chase
- 6 County success for Phil Embleton while Brookmans Park golfers enjoy annual highlight
- 7 'Another Jo Cox' - Hatfield councillor predicted MP attack months before David Amess death
- 8 The Proclaimers to headline Folk by the Oak in Hatfield Park
- 9 Arrests made following stop and searches – including teenager with baton
- 10 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
An example is the A1000 Bessemer Road junction with the B1000, Digswell. The 40mph restriction signs for westbound traffic heading for the viaducts) have not been correct since February 2005 and I wonder how many drivers passing speed camera 00318 have been prosecuted incorrectly .
At the moment the nearside 40mph is completely missing so why not get your colleague with a camera to take a picture and publish it with the hope it will force the county highways to replace the sign to comply with legislation which requires a sign each side of the road.