SIR – Re the speed limits mentioned by Charlie Boy Meynard (WHT, March 26). Osborn Way is restricted to 30 miles per hour because it has a system of street lighting spaced not more than 200 yards apart . This spacing can apply to posts erected on alte
SIR - Re the speed limits mentioned by Charlie Boy Meynard (WHT, March 26).
Osborn Way is restricted to 30 miles per hour because it has a system of street lighting spaced not more than 200 yards apart . This spacing can apply to posts erected on alternate sides of the road. Simple is it not?
This is an old chestnut that has been the subject of correspondence before and it must be confusing for the average road user.
The strange thing is that if 30mph repeater signs were put on the lamp posts it would invalidate the speed limit. If any other speed limit applies, then repeater signs must be erected on the lamp posts at various intervals ( 40mph, 50mph etc).
You may also want to watch:
The Constabulary are being helpful by warning of a speed limit enforcement and for a change the local authority or the county highways authority are correct on this occasion .
In my opinion the present county highways authority has a poor record of ensuring speed limit traffic signs are erected in accordance with the regulations.
- 1 The changing nature of Potters Bar high street
- 2 Man drowns in Stanborough Lakes
- 3 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 4 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 5 Football fanatic honoured with FA award for services to grassroots game
- 6 'A day none of us will forget' - Princess Anne visits Lister Hospital
- 7 New Sexy Beasts dating show for Netflix filmed in Hertfordshire
- 8 7 top tourist attractions to visit in Hertfordshire during the summer holidays
- 9 Grant Shapps 'completely opposed' to closure of QEII Urgent Care Centre at night
- 10 Unanimous vote to close overnight service at Welwyn Garden City Urgent Care Centre
An example is the A1000 Bessemer Road junction with the B1000, Digswell. The 40mph restriction signs for westbound traffic heading for the viaducts) have not been correct since February 2005 and I wonder how many drivers passing speed camera 00318 have been prosecuted incorrectly .
At the moment the nearside 40mph is completely missing so why not get your colleague with a camera to take a picture and publish it with the hope it will force the county highways to replace the sign to comply with legislation which requires a sign each side of the road.