SIR – Re the speed limits mentioned by Charlie Boy Meynard (WHT, March 26). Osborn Way is restricted to 30 miles per hour because it has a system of street lighting spaced not more than 200 yards apart . This spacing can apply to posts erected on alte
SIR - Re the speed limits mentioned by Charlie Boy Meynard (WHT, March 26).
Osborn Way is restricted to 30 miles per hour because it has a system of street lighting spaced not more than 200 yards apart . This spacing can apply to posts erected on alternate sides of the road. Simple is it not?
This is an old chestnut that has been the subject of correspondence before and it must be confusing for the average road user.
The strange thing is that if 30mph repeater signs were put on the lamp posts it would invalidate the speed limit. If any other speed limit applies, then repeater signs must be erected on the lamp posts at various intervals ( 40mph, 50mph etc).
You may also want to watch:
The Constabulary are being helpful by warning of a speed limit enforcement and for a change the local authority or the county highways authority are correct on this occasion .
In my opinion the present county highways authority has a poor record of ensuring speed limit traffic signs are erected in accordance with the regulations.
- 1 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 2 Care home resident celebrates 102nd birthday
- 3 ‘It’s been a great day!’ - Businesses and customers delight as shops, hairdressers and pubs reopen
- 4 Residents urged to comment on Wheat Quarter proposals
- 5 Michael Bublé's Hatfield concert postponed until July 2022
- 6 'Dangerous' man imprisoned for sexual assault in Hatfield
- 7 Clinic launched at sports village to help 'long COVID' sufferers
- 8 RSPCA appeal to help seriously injured 'miracle cat' Trudie after she's hit by a bus
- 9 Which pubs are reopening in Welwyn and Hatfield on April 12?
- 10 Brookmans Park pub celebrates welcoming back visitors on April 12
An example is the A1000 Bessemer Road junction with the B1000, Digswell. The 40mph restriction signs for westbound traffic heading for the viaducts) have not been correct since February 2005 and I wonder how many drivers passing speed camera 00318 have been prosecuted incorrectly .
At the moment the nearside 40mph is completely missing so why not get your colleague with a camera to take a picture and publish it with the hope it will force the county highways to replace the sign to comply with legislation which requires a sign each side of the road.