Menace of flying rats
SIR – Can anything be done to stop the growing menace of pigeon keeping in WGC/Hatfield? Not only are the large hen coops being built an eyesore but a large flock of pigeons flying around urban properties several times a day destroys the tranquillity of o
SIR - Can anything be done to stop the growing menace of pigeon keeping in WGC/Hatfield? Not only are the large hen coops being built an eyesore but a large flock of pigeons flying around urban properties several times a day destroys the tranquillity of our gardens and fouls our windows, footpaths, fences and roofs. They also devalue our property - who wants to look out on a large pigeon coop and have pigeons flying around and fouling their garden and property?!
I know of one property where there are 30 pigeons flying three times a day and I am told there are several others like this.
Many councils are at pains to get rid of pigeons, which are considered a pest - a 'flying rat' - but Welwyn and Hatfield are seemingly oblivious to this nuisance.
Their regulations are only concerned with hygiene and the welfare of the birds - the size of the coop and the number of pigeons flying out of it are unregulated. Keeping one or two pigeons in a small coop the size of a garden shed is one thing, keeping 20 or more, often in adjacent properties, is a public nuisance and should be curtailed.
You may also want to watch:
WGC resident, name and address supplied.
- 1 John Lewis to reopen Welwyn Garden City store on April 12
- 2 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 3 RSPCA appeal to help seriously injured 'miracle cat' Trudie after she's hit by a bus
- 4 Second major film and TV studios plan revealed for site near Sky Studios Elstree
- 5 Which pubs are reopening in Welwyn and Hatfield on April 12?
- 6 'Dangerous' man imprisoned for sexual assault in Hatfield
- 7 Residents urged to comment on Wheat Quarter proposals
- 8 Isabel Hospice 'excited' to reopen charity shops on April 12
- 9 Where has the Duke of Edinburgh visited in Hertfordshire?
- 10 Plans for 'largest film studio in the UK' revealed for Hertfordshire