Memories of Hatfield's Comet jet airliner
SIR – Regarding your story about the first flight of the Comet aircraft 60 years ago. I served my apprenticeship at Hatfield from 1961 to 1966. During the first couple of years the last Hatfield-built Comets passed through the erecting shop. From then
SIR - Regarding your story about the first flight of the Comet aircraft 60 years ago.
I served my apprenticeship at Hatfield from 1961 to 1966.
During the first couple of years the last Hatfield-built Comets passed through the erecting shop.
From then on they were built at Chester. When they first flew from there, they were unable to land so they came to Hatfield for pre-delivery checks and delivery.
You may also want to watch:
During my apprenticeship, I worked in the flight test department when the last Comets came through for delivery.
I managed to get two flights during that time period. The first was on October 8, 1963, in Comet 4C XS235 for two hours 20 minutes. This aircraft was delivered to Boscombe Down and is still at Bruntingforth.
- 1 'Another Jo Cox' - Hatfield councillor predicted MP attack months before David Amess death
- 2 County success for Phil Embleton while Brookmans Park golfers enjoy annual highlight
- 3 The Proclaimers to headline Folk by the Oak in Hatfield Park
- 4 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 5 Arrests made following stop and searches – including teenager with baton
- 6 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 7 Family of four ‘distraught’ living in single hotel room for nearly five months after house fire
- 8 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 9 How Welwyn's White Hart pub improvised after £100K kitchen inferno
- 10 Banned driver jailed following high-speed police chase
The second flight was in Comet 2E G-AMXK for two hours 25 minutes. This aircraft was being used by Smiths for autoland trials.
De-Havilland Propellors also had a Comet. It was a Comet 1B Serial XM823, This a de-Havilland Ghost powered aircraft.
Unfortunately I do not have any photographs of them.
One observation in the newspaper report. Your heading photo of a Comet in flight registration G-ANLO is not a Comet 4, but the only Comet 3 that flew.
If you have any memories of the Comet and its time at Hatfield email email@example.com