Memories of Hatfield's Comet jet airliner
SIR – Regarding your story about the first flight of the Comet aircraft 60 years ago. I served my apprenticeship at Hatfield from 1961 to 1966. During the first couple of years the last Hatfield-built Comets passed through the erecting shop. From then
SIR - Regarding your story about the first flight of the Comet aircraft 60 years ago.
I served my apprenticeship at Hatfield from 1961 to 1966.
During the first couple of years the last Hatfield-built Comets passed through the erecting shop.
From then on they were built at Chester. When they first flew from there, they were unable to land so they came to Hatfield for pre-delivery checks and delivery.
You may also want to watch:
During my apprenticeship, I worked in the flight test department when the last Comets came through for delivery.
I managed to get two flights during that time period. The first was on October 8, 1963, in Comet 4C XS235 for two hours 20 minutes. This aircraft was delivered to Boscombe Down and is still at Bruntingforth.
- 1 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 2 When Spielberg and Tom Hanks came to Hatfield for filming
- 3 Exploring the challenges of being furloughed during lockdown
- 4 Charity's face mask exempt cards sold at an inflated price on Facebook
- 5 Closing the New QEII at night permanently still to be considered
- 6 'Heavy snow' expected across Hertfordshire from tomorrow
- 7 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 8 Graduate to create original African sci-fi series for Disney+
- 9 Who is Lady Danbury in new Netflix series Bridgerton?
- 10 Head of planning to leave for county council role
The second flight was in Comet 2E G-AMXK for two hours 25 minutes. This aircraft was being used by Smiths for autoland trials.
De-Havilland Propellors also had a Comet. It was a Comet 1B Serial XM823, This a de-Havilland Ghost powered aircraft.
Unfortunately I do not have any photographs of them.
One observation in the newspaper report. Your heading photo of a Comet in flight registration G-ANLO is not a Comet 4, but the only Comet 3 that flew.
If you have any memories of the Comet and its time at Hatfield email firstname.lastname@example.org