Lord, what a fuss you did not make before!
Sir – As a regular and appreciative user of my own local sub post office, I fully support the WHT use it or lose it campaign in the face of the continued threat of closures. But, what a startling change of emphasis from the past! Memory harks back to a
Sir - As a regular and appreciative user of my own local sub post office, I fully support the WHT "use it or lose it" campaign in the face of the continued threat of closures.
But, what a startling change of emphasis from the past!
Memory harks back to a particular issue of the WHT, prior to the last General Election.
In that issue, apart from the front page, we were treated to a second and larger, photograph of 'Jack the Lad' Lord Brocket, and were regaled with his exploits in a particular TV programme.
You may also want to watch:
Also, inevitably, on view was a photograph of Mr Shapps, then parliamentary candidate, inside a betting shop in WGC town centre, obviously for reasons best known to himself.
Dedicated readers might, then, just have happened across a few brief paragraphs under an insignificant heading, relating to the closure of local post offices (a nationwide problem then) the fact that over 2,500 signatures had been collected in opposition to local closures, and that in support of a campaign the then MP Melanie Johnson had arranged she had then taken post office officials on a tour of WGC branches to highlight the difficulties residents would face following any closures that took place.
- 1 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 2 When is Team GB cycling star Laura Kenny in action at Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
- 5 Do you remember when Grange Hill was filmed in Hatfield?
- 6 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 7 Welwyn Garden City named Hertfordshire’s sexiest place
- 8 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 9 New Sexy Beasts dating show for Netflix filmed in Hertfordshire
- 10 'This is history!' - 25 facts about the Oasis concerts at Knebworth Park 25 years ago
While not, apparently, warranting the same coverage at the time as the would be 'celebs', what goes around has certainly come around, this time in a blaze of publicity.
As a result, knowing Mr Shapps' tendency to dress-up for the part, I am now anticipating a photo of the MP in the WHT, leading a protest outside his local post office in Brookmans Park frantically waving the weekly child allowance books while dressed up as Postman Pat.
Mr G Aitken,
Harwood Hill, WGC.