Lidl sign is out of place
SIR – I was not surprised to see an article on Reminders for homeowners (WHT, June 11). Like, I suspect, many WGC residents, I can remember the deeds for my house explicitly forbidding the placement of advertising signs outside the house. I believe, if
SIR - I was not surprised to see an article on Reminders for homeowners (WHT, June 11). Like, I suspect, many WGC residents, I can remember the deeds for my house explicitly forbidding the placement of advertising signs outside the house. I believe, if memory serves, that this included for-sale signs being restricted in size.
Having lived in WGC for 30 years I have come across the requirement for approval on other changes which affect the protection of the Garden City ethos such as removal of trees. I believe that these measures have helped maintain a Garden City environment which is pleasant.
So I was surprised to see, stuck at the end of the road on Moors Walk, a whacking great Lidl sign apparently contravening the aforementioned restrictions.
Do the same rules not apply to businesses in the city? As if the controversy about the changes to the car park is not enough we are now subjected to inappropriately placed large ugly signs which are not in keeping with a residential area in a Garden City.
You may also want to watch:
If this is a sign of the times will we be further subjected to a large yellow 'M' (McDonald's golden Arch) or other such eyesores?
Ray Smith, Hardings, WGC.
- 1 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 2 When is Team GB cycling star Laura Kenny in action at Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
- 5 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 6 Do you remember when Grange Hill was filmed in Hatfield?
- 7 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 8 Welwyn Garden City named Hertfordshire’s sexiest place
- 9 'This is history!' - 25 facts about the Oasis concerts at Knebworth Park 25 years ago
- 10 New Sexy Beasts dating show for Netflix filmed in Hertfordshire
Editor's note: Planning permission was needed for the Lidl signs on Moors Walk. Permission was applied for and the application was approved. Have your say, email firstname.lastname@example.org