Lidl sign is out of place
SIR – I was not surprised to see an article on Reminders for homeowners (WHT, June 11). Like, I suspect, many WGC residents, I can remember the deeds for my house explicitly forbidding the placement of advertising signs outside the house. I believe, if
SIR - I was not surprised to see an article on Reminders for homeowners (WHT, June 11). Like, I suspect, many WGC residents, I can remember the deeds for my house explicitly forbidding the placement of advertising signs outside the house. I believe, if memory serves, that this included for-sale signs being restricted in size.
Having lived in WGC for 30 years I have come across the requirement for approval on other changes which affect the protection of the Garden City ethos such as removal of trees. I believe that these measures have helped maintain a Garden City environment which is pleasant.
So I was surprised to see, stuck at the end of the road on Moors Walk, a whacking great Lidl sign apparently contravening the aforementioned restrictions.
Do the same rules not apply to businesses in the city? As if the controversy about the changes to the car park is not enough we are now subjected to inappropriately placed large ugly signs which are not in keeping with a residential area in a Garden City.
You may also want to watch:
If this is a sign of the times will we be further subjected to a large yellow 'M' (McDonald's golden Arch) or other such eyesores?
Ray Smith, Hardings, WGC.
- 1 Is Hertfordshire set to become the new British Hollywood?
- 2 Taxi driver found guilty of driving offences
- 3 Enjoy the park but treat it with the respect it deserves, says manager
- 4 Is the era of face-to-face GP appointments over in Hertfordshire?
- 5 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 6 Driving scheme for 10 to 17 year olds launches in Hatfield
- 7 Travel blogger quarantined in Canada after returning home for funeral
- 8 Pregnant woman jailed for more than two years for killing cyclist
- 9 ‘I want to inspire people’ - fundraiser set for sky dive in memory of mother
- 10 Galleria launches 'We Love Local' venture for businesses
Editor's note: Planning permission was needed for the Lidl signs on Moors Walk. Permission was applied for and the application was approved. Have your say, email firstname.lastname@example.org