Lib Dem's sudden rush of ideas
Sir – I feel the need to comment on your report of the financial proposals put forward verbally at the last council meeting by Cllr Malcolm Cowan which in my opinion was more to do with the politics than serious input to the budget debate (WHT, February 4
Sir - I feel the need to comment on your report of the financial proposals put forward verbally at the last council meeting by Cllr Malcolm Cowan which in my opinion was more to do with the politics than serious input to the budget debate (WHT, February 4).
Let me explain why.
During the weeks leading up to the discussion on budget proposals there is a process which is well known to experienced councillors like Cllr Cowan.
There are two opportunities at cabinet meetings for opposition councillors to put forward questions and this is followed by a scrutiny of the budget by the resources and overview committee. This is the opportunity for detailed questioning and consideration of alternative ideas. Cllr Cowan is a member of this committee and sought not to raise any alternative proposals for consideration. Indeed, he said very little.
I therefore ask myself whether his sudden rush of ideas were for the benefit of the media at the council meeting. They were not backed up by supporting written evidence which is why quite rightly they were rejected by the administration and Labour opposition. If Lib Dems want to be taken seriously they need to carefully examine what they do and say and how it's done!!
Experience suggests nothing will change.
- 1 Primary school drops to 'inadequate' Ofsted rating five years after 'Good' score
- 2 Older woman assaulted in Welwyn Garden City
- 3 'Best headteacher' leaves Hatfield school
- 4 QEII Hospital to receive million pound investment
- 5 From Welwyn Garden City to Colorado: The long-distance fiancées fundraising for a UK visa
- 6 Where you can get a walk-in booster or vaccine this weekend
- 7 Hatfield man faces murder charge
- 8 Hatfield to get new pub following £9 million investment
- 9 Planning inquiry to determine quarry plans for Hatfield Aerodrome closes
- 10 MP Oliver Dowden reacts to Downing Street 'party'
Councillor Alan Franey, Daniells, WGC.