Lib Dem's sudden rush of ideas
Sir – I feel the need to comment on your report of the financial proposals put forward verbally at the last council meeting by Cllr Malcolm Cowan which in my opinion was more to do with the politics than serious input to the budget debate (WHT, February 4
Sir - I feel the need to comment on your report of the financial proposals put forward verbally at the last council meeting by Cllr Malcolm Cowan which in my opinion was more to do with the politics than serious input to the budget debate (WHT, February 4).
Let me explain why.
During the weeks leading up to the discussion on budget proposals there is a process which is well known to experienced councillors like Cllr Cowan.
There are two opportunities at cabinet meetings for opposition councillors to put forward questions and this is followed by a scrutiny of the budget by the resources and overview committee. This is the opportunity for detailed questioning and consideration of alternative ideas. Cllr Cowan is a member of this committee and sought not to raise any alternative proposals for consideration. Indeed, he said very little.
You may also want to watch:
I therefore ask myself whether his sudden rush of ideas were for the benefit of the media at the council meeting. They were not backed up by supporting written evidence which is why quite rightly they were rejected by the administration and Labour opposition. If Lib Dems want to be taken seriously they need to carefully examine what they do and say and how it's done!!
Experience suggests nothing will change.
- 1 Water safety advice issued following lake drowning
- 2 New report reveals 28 Covid deaths at Hatfield care home
- 3 The changing nature of Potters Bar high street
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 Community reacts to closure of overnight Urgent Care Centre service at New QEII Hospital
- 6 Man drowns in Stanborough Lakes
- 7 New Sexy Beasts dating show for Netflix filmed in Hertfordshire
- 8 Skills the way forward for Hertfordshire’s Covid recovery as new strategy launched
- 9 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 10 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
Councillor Alan Franey, Daniells, WGC.