Lib Dem's sudden rush of ideas
Sir – I feel the need to comment on your report of the financial proposals put forward verbally at the last council meeting by Cllr Malcolm Cowan which in my opinion was more to do with the politics than serious input to the budget debate (WHT, February 4
Sir - I feel the need to comment on your report of the financial proposals put forward verbally at the last council meeting by Cllr Malcolm Cowan which in my opinion was more to do with the politics than serious input to the budget debate (WHT, February 4).
Let me explain why.
During the weeks leading up to the discussion on budget proposals there is a process which is well known to experienced councillors like Cllr Cowan.
There are two opportunities at cabinet meetings for opposition councillors to put forward questions and this is followed by a scrutiny of the budget by the resources and overview committee. This is the opportunity for detailed questioning and consideration of alternative ideas. Cllr Cowan is a member of this committee and sought not to raise any alternative proposals for consideration. Indeed, he said very little.
You may also want to watch:
I therefore ask myself whether his sudden rush of ideas were for the benefit of the media at the council meeting. They were not backed up by supporting written evidence which is why quite rightly they were rejected by the administration and Labour opposition. If Lib Dems want to be taken seriously they need to carefully examine what they do and say and how it's done!!
Experience suggests nothing will change.
- 1 When Spielberg and Tom Hanks came to Hatfield for filming
- 2 Headteacher 'very proud' of 'healthy and balanced' free school meal hampers
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 Welwyn Garden City school raises nearly £1,000 for Isabel Hospice with annual 'Charity Day'
- 5 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 6 Police appeal for public information after puppy found dead on A414
- 7 Who is Lady Danbury in new Netflix series Bridgerton?
- 8 6 movies to watch on TV this week made in Herts
- 9 'Heavy snow' expected across Hertfordshire from tomorrow
- 10 Scammer pretending to be a police officer stole thousands from 99-year-old man
Councillor Alan Franey, Daniells, WGC.