Larger in real life
Sir – Further to your continuing coverage (WHT April 16) of the pumping station now erected in the Vineyards, WGC. What your photograph does not show, and many will not know, is that this building, of an overall dimension larger than many a room in proper
Sir - Further to your continuing coverage (WHT April 16) of the pumping station now erected in the Vineyards, WGC.
What your photograph does not show, and many will not know, is that this building, of an overall dimension larger than many a room in properties throughout the area, and with a lofty ceiling, is barely more than 20 feet away from the front door of the nearest house, as well as encroaching on the outlook of the whole, surrounding area.
It must be quote of the week when a spokesperson for Three Valleys Water states "The location has been identified as being the best engineering solution with least visual impact to the surrounding area." This is followed by: "there were alterative possible locations but these would have had more of a visual impact on the area..."
How bad could it get?
You may also want to watch:
I presume that the high gloss dark green finish is intended to blend in with the local and general concept of the garden city? Is it then to be further enhanced by an 8ft, grey, galvanised, spike ended metal fence to protect it from vandalism, as it surely will require such protection? Essential work perhaps, but the location and finished product is an item worthy of a first as an entry for the Turner prize of quirky art.
Congratulations also to the ruling party councillors, who are helpless in the face of public utilities, and seem to the even more lacking when it comes to at least a show of support and understanding for those most affected by such an item of blight. First prize to them for their bonding solidarity and continued non-acceptance of criticism.
- 1 Full list of Welwyn Hatfield results for Local Elections 2021
- 2 Fence that blocked public path now removed
- 3 What time will the election results come in?
- 4 Billy Joe Saunders v Saul Canelo Alvarez - as it happened
- 5 Man found with head injuries following assault
- 6 5 venues and leisure attractions that can reopen from Monday, May 17
- 7 Teenager arrested following pub break in
- 8 Have you seen this wanted man?
- 9 COVID deaths at Lister pass grim milestone
- 10 Woman injured after attack by out of control dog
Mr G Aitken, Harwood Hill, WGC.