Larger in real life
Sir – Further to your continuing coverage (WHT April 16) of the pumping station now erected in the Vineyards, WGC. What your photograph does not show, and many will not know, is that this building, of an overall dimension larger than many a room in proper
Sir - Further to your continuing coverage (WHT April 16) of the pumping station now erected in the Vineyards, WGC.
What your photograph does not show, and many will not know, is that this building, of an overall dimension larger than many a room in properties throughout the area, and with a lofty ceiling, is barely more than 20 feet away from the front door of the nearest house, as well as encroaching on the outlook of the whole, surrounding area.
It must be quote of the week when a spokesperson for Three Valleys Water states "The location has been identified as being the best engineering solution with least visual impact to the surrounding area." This is followed by: "there were alterative possible locations but these would have had more of a visual impact on the area..."
How bad could it get?
You may also want to watch:
I presume that the high gloss dark green finish is intended to blend in with the local and general concept of the garden city? Is it then to be further enhanced by an 8ft, grey, galvanised, spike ended metal fence to protect it from vandalism, as it surely will require such protection? Essential work perhaps, but the location and finished product is an item worthy of a first as an entry for the Turner prize of quirky art.
Congratulations also to the ruling party councillors, who are helpless in the face of public utilities, and seem to the even more lacking when it comes to at least a show of support and understanding for those most affected by such an item of blight. First prize to them for their bonding solidarity and continued non-acceptance of criticism.
- 1 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 2 Family of four ‘distraught’ living in single hotel room for nearly five months after house fire
- 3 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 4 How Welwyn's White Hart pub improvised after £100K kitchen inferno
- 5 Banned driver jailed following high-speed police chase
- 6 'Another Jo Cox' - Hatfield councillor predicted MP attack months before David Amess death
- 7 County success for Phil Embleton while Brookmans Park golfers enjoy annual highlight
- 8 The Proclaimers to headline Folk by the Oak in Hatfield Park
- 9 Arrests made following stop and searches – including teenager with baton
- 10 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
Mr G Aitken, Harwood Hill, WGC.