Just because it's allowed doesn't make it right
SIR – Regarding your article headlined, MPs expenses: Barbara Follett claims �25k for security at second home. I am outraged that Ms Follett MP has been using taxpayers money in this way. I would firstly question why the taxpayer should be funding a se
SIR - Regarding your article headlined, MPs' expenses: Barbara Follett claims �25k for security at second home.
I am outraged that Ms Follett MP has been using taxpayers' money in this way.
I would firstly question why the taxpayer should be funding a second home at all if her constituencies are Stevenage, Knebworth and Codicote.
Can she not commute like all the thousands of others from the area that work in London?
You may also want to watch:
The odd overnight stay could be accommodated in an economy hotel, just like the rest of us.
Ms Follett's comments about how much she puts in to her role are even more unbelievable.
- 1 Water safety advice issued following lake drowning
- 2 New report reveals 28 Covid deaths at Hatfield care home
- 3 The changing nature of Potters Bar high street
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 Community reacts to closure of overnight Urgent Care Centre service at New QEII Hospital
- 6 Man drowns in Stanborough Lakes
- 7 New Sexy Beasts dating show for Netflix filmed in Hertfordshire
- 8 Skills the way forward for Hertfordshire’s Covid recovery as new strategy launched
- 9 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 10 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
It seems that she believes that commitment and hard work give her the right to do this.
In my world hard work and commitment give me the right to my pay packet, and in this day and age, we hope a little job security.
If I decided that it entitled me to extract money from my employers by exploiting expenses payments I would be fired.
Just because her claims might sit within the (ridiculous) allowed items category does not make it morally or ethically right.
If Ms Follett wishes the respect of her constituents she ought to give a little thought to all who are working hard to provide essentials for their families and not expect those same people to fund her lavish lifestyle.