Is school trip essential?
SIR – The fact that schools close in this weather is nothing to do with any lack of Bulldog Spirit or overly zealous health and safety culture. Decisions to close are never taken lightly. Sixty years ago, as Mr Hughes would remind us, schools might hav
SIR - The fact that schools close in this weather is nothing to do with any lack of "Bulldog Spirit" or overly zealous health and safety culture.
Decisions to close are never taken lightly. Sixty years ago, as Mr Hughes would remind us, schools might have been open, mainly because teachers lived a lot closer to their schools than they tend to do nowadays. I live 18 miles from my school, one of my teachers over 25 miles.
For two of the days I shut my school I simply could not have got myself or my staff in to supervise the children.
Children also tend to travel further to school than they used, so they also have to come by car.
Are journeys to school for teachers and children essential?
If not then we should follow police advice and keep off the roads. If they are, so be it and we will expect Herts CC to grit the roads outside schools so teachers and parents can be safe.
- 1 Head injury follows taxi assault in Potters Bar
- 2 Hatfield tenant upset over housing issue that has yet to be rectified after a year
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 Concerns raised over ‘grotesque’ 5G mast plans ruining iconic WGC view
- 5 Homes selling fast at sought-after Welwyn Garden City development
- 6 7 of the most beautiful churches in Hertfordshire
- 7 Hertfordshire County Council will fund free summer activity camps for children in the Welwyn Hatfield area
- 8 Officers to tackle Potters Bar Nitrous Oxide sales as part of policing priorities
- 9 Vehicle caught fire on M25
- 10 Plans for second multi-storey car park at Stevenage's Lister Hospital to help 'better meet demand'
As I write this there is still snow and ice on the road outside my school, which although it is a bus route, is never ever gritted.
Rod Woodhouse, headteacher, Essendon Primary School.