In search of telephone exchange workers
SIR – I wondered if there were any members of the GPO Telephone Exchange staff in WGC still around. I was a telephonist when I was 16 back in 1962 at the exchange in WGC and I would love to get in touch with any members of that year, and if there are any
SIR - I wondered if there were any members of the GPO Telephone Exchange staff in WGC still around.
I was a telephonist when I was 16 back in 1962 at the exchange in WGC and I would love to get in touch with any members of that year, and if there are any photos around from the telephone exchange, I would like to see them.
I am now 62 so it was a few years ago but as I am still a switchboard operator. I would just love to remember my days at that place I wasn't there very long because the exchange became automatic and I was asked to go to Potters Bar but couldn't travel so far so ended up working for ICI as a telephonist.
It would be great to hear from anyone.
I watched the programme Hello Girls with Letitia from EastEnders in it and it was so well done as all was the same as we remember with supervisors walking up and down.
It was all very strict but the standard was second to none. Now there is very little training and they call them call centres.
- 1 Concerns raised over ‘grotesque’ 5G mast plans ruining iconic WGC view
- 2 Vandals trash toilet on WGC train
- 3 Homes selling fast at sought-after Welwyn Garden City development
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 Fight to save village Green Belt from development
- 6 Autism wellbeing event coming to Welwyn Garden City
- 7 Village off-licence at risk from plans for rival outlet
- 8 New safety signage installed at Stanborough Lakes
- 9 Nissan rolled in three-vehicle crash on M25
- 10 Welwyn Hatfield tops tenant complaint figures for east of England
We had to have two interviews one was a written one and the other was a speech one, then after getting the job we were sent to Clerkenwell for more training then back to WGC where we were on probation for another three months
Then if we were ok the job was ours. I do miss the GPO with the plugs etc.
I used to live in Golden Dell until I left to get married and moved to Stevenage. I now live in Cambridgeshire and work for Cambridgeshire police in Huntingdon
Jacquie Albone, via email.