I would be honest and transparent
SIR – I am just as shocked as all local residents about the scandalous, if not corrupt, behaviour of a number of MPs of all parties as exposed in recent weeks. It can hardly be surprising if some people will think that all politicians are looking out for
SIR - I am just as shocked as all local residents about the scandalous, if not corrupt, behaviour of a number of MPs of all parties as exposed in recent weeks.
It can hardly be surprising if some people will think that all politicians are looking out for themselves, given this is clearly true for a number of MPs.
I still believe that the great majority of politicians, both locally and nationally, are motivated by a commitment to public service.
But how are voters to tell the difference between ethical and selfish politicians?
You may also want to watch:
To help local residents make their decision, I make these pledges to everyone in Welwyn Hatfield, if elected as Labour MP for Welwyn Hatfield:
1. I will make my only home in Welwyn Hatfield, and will not establish or claim for any second home at any time during the five year life of the Parliament.
- 1 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
- 2 Safety check and risk assessment failings for hundreds of Welwyn Hatfield council houses
- 3 When is Team GB cycling star Laura Kenny in action at Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 Community reacts to closure of overnight Urgent Care Centre service at New QEII Hospital
- 6 Water safety advice issued following lake drowning
- 7 New report reveals 28 Covid deaths at Hatfield care home
- 8 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 9 Henry Moore Foundation in Hertfordshire appears in new Fake or Fortune? series on BBC One
- 10 The changing nature of Potters Bar high street
2. I will not accept any other paid employment or company directorship while serving as an MP.
3. I will publish receipts for every penny that I claim in expenses in serving local constituents.
4. Just as I did when supporting the local hospital campaign, I will always put the concerns of local residents at the absolute top of my priority list.
5. I will tell people my real views even when I know they will disagree with me.
6. I will never promise what I know I cannot deliver.
As the MP for Welwyn Hatfield, I would intend to be honest and transparent at all times.
Welwyn Hatfield Labour Parliamentary candidate.