I would be honest and transparent
SIR – I am just as shocked as all local residents about the scandalous, if not corrupt, behaviour of a number of MPs of all parties as exposed in recent weeks. It can hardly be surprising if some people will think that all politicians are looking out for
SIR - I am just as shocked as all local residents about the scandalous, if not corrupt, behaviour of a number of MPs of all parties as exposed in recent weeks.
It can hardly be surprising if some people will think that all politicians are looking out for themselves, given this is clearly true for a number of MPs.
I still believe that the great majority of politicians, both locally and nationally, are motivated by a commitment to public service.
But how are voters to tell the difference between ethical and selfish politicians?
You may also want to watch:
To help local residents make their decision, I make these pledges to everyone in Welwyn Hatfield, if elected as Labour MP for Welwyn Hatfield:
1. I will make my only home in Welwyn Hatfield, and will not establish or claim for any second home at any time during the five year life of the Parliament.
- 1 How Welwyn's White Hart pub improvised after £100K kitchen inferno
- 2 Banned driver jailed following high-speed police chase
- 3 Arrests made following stop and searches – including teenager with baton
- 4 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 5 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 6 Welwyn Garden City murder-suicide: Grief-stricken family release statement
- 7 Hatfield curry house is hot stuff after being named nation’s best
- 8 Conservatives hit back at Lib Dems over Local Plan collapse claims
- 9 How was womanising Hatfield policeman allowed to work promoting female safety?
- 10 Congratulations! See Sir Cliff Richard's The Great 80 Tour live in cinemas
2. I will not accept any other paid employment or company directorship while serving as an MP.
3. I will publish receipts for every penny that I claim in expenses in serving local constituents.
4. Just as I did when supporting the local hospital campaign, I will always put the concerns of local residents at the absolute top of my priority list.
5. I will tell people my real views even when I know they will disagree with me.
6. I will never promise what I know I cannot deliver.
As the MP for Welwyn Hatfield, I would intend to be honest and transparent at all times.
Welwyn Hatfield Labour Parliamentary candidate.