How long can it take to get get lights on?
SIR – I heartily agree with the letter in last week s WHT (March 19) regarding the disgraceful state of our street lighting. Like Ms Tidy, I also live in a warden controlled area in Hatfield, where a street light has been out for the past 11 weeks! We ar
SIR - I heartily agree with the letter in last week's WHT (March 19) regarding the disgraceful state of our street lighting.
Like Ms Tidy, I also live in a warden controlled area in Hatfield, where a street light has been out for the past 11 weeks!
We are on the edge of quite a large area of trees and grass and it is quite dark even when all the street lights are working.
I have telephoned the council on at least four occasions, eventually speaking directly to the highways department and was told that "a part had to be ordered" to enable the light to be fixed. I also mentioned that this particular lamp post is leaning, so this could present an even greater danger if the problem is ignored for much longer.
You may also want to watch:
Recently, a friend visiting me stumbled in the dark and although fortunately she was not badly hurt, I feel it is only a matter of time before someone is injured.
The area is also prone to flooding and the ground in places is uneven where the grass is churned up, making it quite hazardous. Perhaps if the council were to find themselves at the wrong end of a lawsuit, they may do something about this dreadful situation. It is nothing short of neglect.
- 1 Stay vigilant say police after man allegedly seen trying car door handles
- 2 University of Hertfordshire hit by cyber attack
- 3 'Iconic' new statue of Ebenezer Howard unveiled
- 4 Explosive new Fast & Furious 9 trailer and UK release date revealed
- 5 Homes damaged by people throwing bricks
- 6 'It's special to see your loved ones smiling away' - woman raises money to buy companion toys for care home residents
- 7 Mass participation 10K test event in Hatfield Park postponed and new venue being sought
- 8 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 9 ‘It’s been a great day!’ - Businesses and customers delight as shops, hairdressers and pubs reopen
- 10 'Dangerous' man imprisoned for sexual assault in Hatfield
How can they justify this extensive period of time to "order a part"? Erecting a new lamp post altogether would have been quicker (not that that is likely to happen either)!
Mrs H Byrne, Oxlease, Hatfield.