How long can it take to get get lights on?
SIR – I heartily agree with the letter in last week s WHT (March 19) regarding the disgraceful state of our street lighting. Like Ms Tidy, I also live in a warden controlled area in Hatfield, where a street light has been out for the past 11 weeks! We ar
SIR - I heartily agree with the letter in last week's WHT (March 19) regarding the disgraceful state of our street lighting.
Like Ms Tidy, I also live in a warden controlled area in Hatfield, where a street light has been out for the past 11 weeks!
We are on the edge of quite a large area of trees and grass and it is quite dark even when all the street lights are working.
I have telephoned the council on at least four occasions, eventually speaking directly to the highways department and was told that "a part had to be ordered" to enable the light to be fixed. I also mentioned that this particular lamp post is leaning, so this could present an even greater danger if the problem is ignored for much longer.
You may also want to watch:
Recently, a friend visiting me stumbled in the dark and although fortunately she was not badly hurt, I feel it is only a matter of time before someone is injured.
The area is also prone to flooding and the ground in places is uneven where the grass is churned up, making it quite hazardous. Perhaps if the council were to find themselves at the wrong end of a lawsuit, they may do something about this dreadful situation. It is nothing short of neglect.
- 1 The changing nature of Potters Bar high street
- 2 Water safety advice issued following lake drowning
- 3 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 4 New report reveals 28 Covid deaths at Hatfield care home
- 5 Man drowns in Stanborough Lakes
- 6 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 7 Football fanatic honoured with FA award for services to grassroots game
- 8 'A day none of us will forget' - Princess Anne visits Lister Hospital
- 9 New Sexy Beasts dating show for Netflix filmed in Hertfordshire
- 10 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
How can they justify this extensive period of time to "order a part"? Erecting a new lamp post altogether would have been quicker (not that that is likely to happen either)!
Mrs H Byrne, Oxlease, Hatfield.