Help tackle ageism
SIR – In June last year, the Government took an important step forward – they finally acknowledged the injustices faced by older people every day in accessing basic goods and services. They promised to abolish the last ism permitted in our society, by
SIR - In June last year, the Government took an important step forward - they finally acknowledged the injustices faced by older people every day in accessing basic goods and services. They promised to abolish the last 'ism' permitted in our society, by banning age discrimination in the planned equality bill.
This decision was long overdue, but now senior citizens face an even longer wait before they get any protection from discrimination. An 18-month government review of dealing with ageism in health and social care threatens to push the passing of any new law well past the next election - chance for change could well be lost.
This is a huge disappointment. I've written to my MP to ask him to sign Early Day Motion 458 to call for swift action to ban age discrimination.
I urge your readers to do the same by supporting the Help the Aged Just Equal Treatment campaign. Fore details call 020 7239 1982 or go to http://www.helptheaged.org.uk/justequaltreatment
You may also want to watch:
Older people who are being denied vital health care or struggle to buy insurance cannot afford to wait.
Mr John Wood, Honeysuckle Gardens, Hatfield.
- 1 Is the era of face-to-face GP appointments over in Hertfordshire?
- 2 Is Hertfordshire set to become the new British Hollywood?
- 3 Taxi driver found guilty of driving offences
- 4 Enjoy the park but treat it with the respect it deserves, says manager
- 5 Parents thank school for going 'above and beyond' to include children who had to shield for over a year
- 6 Galleria launches 'We Love Local' venture for businesses
- 7 Pregnant woman jailed for more than two years for killing cyclist
- 8 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 9 Travel blogger quarantined in Canada after returning home for funeral
- 10 What to do if you see these hazardous caterpillars in a park