Help finding a care home
Sir – EastEnders viewers saw the angst and turmoil as Dot helped her husband Jim move to his care home. Dot is not alone in finding it difficult when a relative needs care. Every year we meet and help scores of families in the same position, often havin
Sir - EastEnders' viewers saw the angst and turmoil as Dot helped her husband Jim move to his care home.
Dot is not alone in finding it difficult when a relative needs care. Every year we meet and help scores of families in the same position, often having to make a decision about a care home at a time of crisis - for Jim and Dot it was caused by the after-effects of his stroke. I want to tell readers that help is available.
There are websites run by charities such as Help The Aged and Age Concern. They can also contact the Elderly Accommodation Counsel (020 7820 1343) or their local social services department.
Our leaflet "Checklist for choosing a care home" helps families to compare different homes and gives suggestions on what to look for and ask about. To get a free copy, call 0800 001010. Families are also welcome to visit care homes like ours to talk over their concerns, ask questions and have a look around for themselves.
You may also want to watch:
Amanda Jackson, manager, Bupa,
St Christopher's, Hatfield.
- 1 'Welwyn will no longer have the right to call itself a garden city' - warning over development plans for Broadwater Road
- 2 Hollywood heads to Hertfordshire with £700m Sunset Studios film and TV development plans announced
- 3 Lack of confidence in Welwyn Hatfield council following housing safety scandal
- 4 Welwyn Garden City's Jodie Williams eases into Olympic 400m semi-final
- 5 Hollywood in Hertfordshire: 17 film stars and movie directors who have visited Welwyn Hatfield
- 6 Herts Council has 'pattern of mishandling children's services complaints'
- 7 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 8 Potters Bar Town delighted with successful return of beer and music festival
- 9 It's coming home! Welwyn Garden City's Commemoration Jug claimed by Reis Suart
- 10 Jodie Williams gunning for gold after barrier-breaking personal best at Tokyo 2020 Olympics