Hate can lead to Holocaust
Sir – Another Holocaust Memorial Day has come and gone and I would wish to view my opinion on the fact that no wide publicity was given, either by the local authority, nor indeed by the Welwyn & Hatfield Times. Both are guilty in this regard, to the exte
Sir - Another Holocaust Memorial Day has come and gone and I would wish to view my opinion on the fact that no wide publicity was given, either by the local authority, nor indeed by the Welwyn & Hatfield Times.
Both are guilty in this regard, to the extent that most of the public had no idea of where or when the local event was going to take place.
It was, after all, a National Holocaust Memorial Day and deserved some publicity.
As one who was actively involved in the liberation of horror camps in the campaign of 1944 to 1945, I have been haunted at what happened. It was something horrific and a defining moment of WW2.
I lost many friends and comrades leading up to the moment of liberation; for we had many casualties on the way to the camps.
To forget the memory of millions of victims of a vile regime, and of the ultimate sacrifice of British soldiers in managing to save a sad small fraction of victims, is something we must never do.
- 1 Man injured while working in Hatfield Business Park
- 2 New QEII Urgent Care Centre opening hours set to change
- 3 First business moves into Hatfield's new £45m High View development
- 4 Potters Bar school in top 10 of The Sunday Times Schools Guide 2022
- 5 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 6 Suspected stabbing in Welwyn Garden City
- 7 Omicron variant: Confirmed case in Hertfordshire says health boss Jim McManus
- 8 Where can you get a walk-in booster in Welwyn Hatfield this week?
- 9 "The older generation still knows how to have a good time"
- 10 Purse stolen from 74-year-old woman
For young people especially, the evil result of pure hate, should be told.
It was the reason, 63 years ago, that led to the murder of millions.
Violence between young people is always in the news, and it was similar to how the seeds of the Holocaust were sown so many years ago, involving so called "undesirables" and Jews.
Murder is frequent between young persons in Britain today.
It is time the historic lessons are learned. Hate can lead to Holocaust.