Good support for The Commons Nature Reserve
Sir – How heartening it was to see unanimous local endorsement of the campaign to save The Commons nature reserve at the public meeting on Tuesday night. Even the politicians in attendance pledged their support against the proposed housing development
Sir - How heartening it was to see unanimous local endorsement of the campaign to save The Commons nature reserve at the public meeting on Tuesday night. Even the politicians in attendance pledged their support against the proposed housing development - but where were all Welwyn Hatfield's councillors for this vital debate about their own reserve? I counted three out of 48.
Where was Mandy Perkins, Welwyn Hatfield's only (unelected) representative on that equally unelected body the East of England Regional Assembly? Instead of attending the meeting, she had the temerity to appear next day before the BBC cameras in front of the reserve.
Hitherto a stranger to these parts, she casually draped herself over the reserve's 'Welcome' board and spluttered some rather alarming sentiments. Rather than offering some reassurance to us all, or even being non-committal, she managed to convey the impression that perhaps LaFarge might indeed get their way and build with the council's blessing. Exactly who does she think she is representing? Or does she even care?
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Hollywood heads to Hertfordshire with £700m Sunset Studios film and TV development plans announced
- 2 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 3 Free gift card when you park in Welwyn Garden City this summer
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 6 When is Team GB cycling star Laura Kenny in action at Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
- 7 Support for Bukayo Saka continues as youth football team delivers shirt to England's Euro 2020 star
- 8 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
- 9 Welwyn Garden City named Hertfordshire’s sexiest place
- 10 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire