Glass-roofed swimming pool
Sir– When I first read of the Tesco take-over of the Shredded Wheat property, my immediate thought was, what a wonderful site for the much-needed swimming complex that this town is sorely lacking. Finally, a centrally located, large, easily accessible pl
Sir- When I first read of the Tesco take-over of the Shredded Wheat property, my immediate thought was, what a wonderful site for the much-needed swimming complex that this town is sorely lacking.
Finally, a centrally located, large, easily accessible plot that could be adapted into a terrific asset for the community. Imagine the shell of the cereal factory transformed, a la Tate Modern, into a grand glass-roofed swimming complex.
Why not include specially designated social areas for the older generation and a proper fun youth club, with an improved bridge from the station, trains, buses and taxis are easily reached.
A facility like this could attract people from all over the area and increase income to WGC in general.
We need another supermarket as much as another coffee shop (ie, like a hole in the head), especially with Sainsbury expanding! As a food company, however, Tesco would provide very nice eateries to go in a leisure complex and cater for all the swimming birthday parties, etc. An outstanding ice-cream parlour would be fun and unique, for instance. Add to this spaces for arts, crafts, fun landscaping, all sorts... it just takes imagination!
I hope this unique project can be fully developed with real creativity and vision and that Tesco and the powers that be don't waste this opportunity.
- 1 'Garden thieves' caught on camera in Welwyn
- 2 Queen's Platinum Jubilee: Changes to rubbish and recycling bin collection days in Welwyn Hatfield
- 3 Hatfield fixer-upper with lake on sale for £2.5m
- 4 Welwyn Garden City school earns prestigious development award
- 5 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 6 Who is playing when at Slam Dunk Festival 2022: Set times announced for Hatfield Park
- 7 Platinum Jubilee: Hertfordshire's royal visits in pictures
- 8 TfL removes over 100 London buses after EV blaze in Potters Bar
- 9 Spectacular Grade II listed home near Hatfield on the market for £3m
- 10 Local man will be flying high in an effort to raise much needed funds for Potential Kids