Extra grant wiped out
SIR – You recently publicised how small is the additional grant from the Labour government to the county council – only about half the rate of inflation. That alone would have a worrying effect on council tax rise and the level of services. However, I hav
SIR - You recently publicised how small is the additional grant from the Labour government to the county council - only about half the rate of inflation. That alone would have a worrying effect on council tax rise and the level of services. However, I have found out that the council will actually get less money than in the current year.
This is because the £3.2m extra grant will be more than wiped out by an extra £3.6m to be paid back in landfill tax. Not only that, but an allowance for road maintenance worth around £4m will also be wiped out.
So not only will council tax payers have to meet the entire additional costs of inflation, increases in the elderly population and making plans to cope with a massive population increase from the East of England plan, they will be putting extra money into Gordon Brown's pocket.
Even worse is the knowledge that places further from London - the north, midlands and south-west, where the cost of services is less - will be getting up to 10 per cent extra money.
Labour clearly thinks everyone in Hertfordshire is rich and can afford this redistribution of our money. We aren't and we can't.
- 1 Hertfordshire zoo Paradise Wildlife Park to temporarily close to the public in January
- 2 Man in stable condition following Hatfield stabbing
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 Here's what we know so far about the new Covid variant
- 5 Concerns raised over structural integrity of Shredded Wheat factory building
- 6 15 adorable rescue pets in Hertfordshire looking for loving new homes this Christmas
- 7 Sir Elton John to play two Hertfordshire shows at Watford FC's Vicarage Road ground in 2022
- 8 Fire at University of Hertfordshire destroys kitchen
- 9 How Hertfordshire’s coronavirus figures compare to last year's lockdown
- 10 Motorcyclist "seriously" injured after car crash in Welwyn Garden City
Liberal Democrat county councillor, Handside and Peartree.