Extra grant wiped out
SIR – You recently publicised how small is the additional grant from the Labour government to the county council – only about half the rate of inflation. That alone would have a worrying effect on council tax rise and the level of services. However, I hav
SIR - You recently publicised how small is the additional grant from the Labour government to the county council - only about half the rate of inflation. That alone would have a worrying effect on council tax rise and the level of services. However, I have found out that the council will actually get less money than in the current year.
This is because the £3.2m extra grant will be more than wiped out by an extra £3.6m to be paid back in landfill tax. Not only that, but an allowance for road maintenance worth around £4m will also be wiped out.
So not only will council tax payers have to meet the entire additional costs of inflation, increases in the elderly population and making plans to cope with a massive population increase from the East of England plan, they will be putting extra money into Gordon Brown's pocket.
Even worse is the knowledge that places further from London - the north, midlands and south-west, where the cost of services is less - will be getting up to 10 per cent extra money.
You may also want to watch:
Labour clearly thinks everyone in Hertfordshire is rich and can afford this redistribution of our money. We aren't and we can't.
- 1 'Welwyn will no longer have the right to call itself a garden city' - warning over development plans for Broadwater Road
- 2 Lack of confidence in Welwyn Hatfield council following housing safety scandal
- 3 Hollywood heads to Hertfordshire with £700m Sunset Studios film and TV development plans announced
- 4 Welwyn Garden City's Jodie Williams eases into Olympic 400m semi-final
- 5 Herts Council has 'pattern of mishandling children's services complaints'
- 6 Hollywood in Hertfordshire: 17 film stars and movie directors who have visited Welwyn Hatfield
- 7 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 8 It's coming home! Welwyn Garden City's Commemoration Jug claimed by Reis Suart
- 9 Potters Bar Town delighted with successful return of beer and music festival
- 10 Jodie Williams gunning for gold after barrier-breaking personal best at Tokyo 2020 Olympics
Liberal Democrat county councillor, Handside and Peartree.