Extra grant wiped out
SIR – You recently publicised how small is the additional grant from the Labour government to the county council – only about half the rate of inflation. That alone would have a worrying effect on council tax rise and the level of services. However, I hav
SIR - You recently publicised how small is the additional grant from the Labour government to the county council - only about half the rate of inflation. That alone would have a worrying effect on council tax rise and the level of services. However, I have found out that the council will actually get less money than in the current year.
This is because the £3.2m extra grant will be more than wiped out by an extra £3.6m to be paid back in landfill tax. Not only that, but an allowance for road maintenance worth around £4m will also be wiped out.
So not only will council tax payers have to meet the entire additional costs of inflation, increases in the elderly population and making plans to cope with a massive population increase from the East of England plan, they will be putting extra money into Gordon Brown's pocket.
Even worse is the knowledge that places further from London - the north, midlands and south-west, where the cost of services is less - will be getting up to 10 per cent extra money.
You may also want to watch:
Labour clearly thinks everyone in Hertfordshire is rich and can afford this redistribution of our money. We aren't and we can't.
- 1 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 2 John Lewis to reopen Welwyn Garden City store on April 12
- 3 RSPCA appeal to help seriously injured 'miracle cat' Trudie after she's hit by a bus
- 4 Second major film and TV studios plan revealed for site near Sky Studios Elstree
- 5 Which pubs are reopening in Welwyn and Hatfield on April 12?
- 6 'Dangerous' man imprisoned for sexual assault in Hatfield
- 7 Isabel Hospice 'excited' to reopen charity shops on April 12
- 8 Residents urged to comment on Wheat Quarter proposals
- 9 Where has the Duke of Edinburgh visited in Hertfordshire?
- 10 Welwyn Garden City John Lewis survives as retailer announces closures
Liberal Democrat county councillor, Handside and Peartree.