Enough of the snow excuses
SIR – The following is a complaint submitted to Welwyn Hatfield Council about its painfully predictable failure to collect refuse following just a couple of inches of snow.
‘Defeated by a couple of inches of snow...AGAIN’!
It seems incredible to me that despite it snowing most years in living memory, that in 2009, with all the taxpayers’ money supposedly spent on state-of-the-art equipment, that the first fall of just a few inches of snow causes everything to grind to a halt!
I live in Woodhall Lane, WGC, which has been driveable throughout the cold snap and I, as most others, have carefully continued about our business in normal vehicles while Serco workers with everything at their disposal failed to collect our refuse! Why?!
And that’s a rhetorical question really, as no excuse can possibly explain why in this day and age with all the Met Office forecasting and available machinery is it anything short of pathetic that we should be being fleeced the way we are while still having to listen to lame excuses about undriveable routes.
You may also want to watch:
The trucks weigh so much they’re unlikely to get stuck anyway and if there is such a risk do what the rest of Europe do – get or rent a couple of specialist vehicles or buy some snow-chains.
With council tax increasing 150 per cent in the last 11 years surely that’s not too much to ask . . . again a rhetorical question.
- 1 Hollywood heads to Hertfordshire with £700m Sunset Studios film and TV development plans announced
- 2 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 3 Free gift card when you park in Welwyn Garden City this summer
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 6 When is Team GB cycling star Laura Kenny in action at Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
- 7 Support for Bukayo Saka continues as youth football team delivers shirt to England's Euro 2020 star
- 8 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
- 9 Welwyn Garden City named Hertfordshire’s sexiest place
- 10 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire