Crime risk greatly reduced in Hatfield
SIR – I was pleased – but not surprised – to read in last week’s Welwyn Hatfield Times the views of many local people who dismissed the reporting in a recent edition of the Daily Mirror about crime in Hatfield and rightly defended the town’s reputation.
I chair the Welwyn Hatfield Community Safety Partnership, which brings together the police, your councils and others to tackle the causes and consequences of crime. And our approach is working: crime reduced in every one of the past six years, and so far this year it is even lower.
The risk of crime has reduced by a third from what it was in 2004 – that’s 3,000 fewer victims in the past year!
Burglary has almost halved, and serious violence remains very rare in the borough.
While local efforts focus on keeping down the kind of crime that people worry most about, it was good to read Supt Swinburne’s assurances about organised crime, too.
You may also want to watch:
She said that the suspects the Mirror declares as being active in Hatfield are actually more indicative of Hertfordshire as a whole.
I can assure your readers that Hatfield, like the rest of the borough, is in a different league from the cities named in the Mirror’s report.
- 1 Is the era of face-to-face GP appointments over in Hertfordshire?
- 2 Is Hertfordshire set to become the new British Hollywood?
- 3 Parents thank school for going 'above and beyond' to include children who had to shield for over a year
- 4 Taxi driver found guilty of driving offences
- 5 Galleria launches 'We Love Local' venture for businesses
- 6 What to do if you see these hazardous caterpillars in a park
- 7 Enjoy the park but treat it with the respect it deserves, says manager
- 8 Pregnant woman jailed for more than two years for killing cyclist
- 9 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 10 Who are our Welwyn Hatfield candidates for Local Elections 2021?
If residents would like to find out more about the work of the Welwyn Hatfield Community Safety Partnership, or how crime in Hatfield and the borough as a whole is being tackled, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Alternatively, you can visit www.welwynhatfieldalliance.org.uk/communitysafetypartnership
Chair of the Community Safety Partnership.