Concerns over sea levels
SIR - I shall be meeting with parliamentary candidates later this week to ask them what action they would support, if their party is elected to government next year, to ensure that the UK reduces CO2 emissions by at least 40% by 2020.
I shall be meeting with parliamentary candidates later this week to ask them what action they would support, if their party is elected to government next year, to ensure that the UK reduces CO2 emissions by at least 40% by 2020.
New evidence has recently been brought to light, by a widely recognised sea level expert, (Stefan Rahmstorf of the Potsdam Institute in Germany) that a rise of 2 metres at least is almost unstoppable. This will see some island nations disappear, including The Maldives. Some readers might have seen the news clip on television last week showing the Maldives Government’s cabinet ministers meeting under water 9fully kitted out with under-water equipment, but also with tables and papers set out on the sea-bed floor)! This is to show people what might easily happen to this beautiful island and many others if we do not act to stop sea level rise and curb global warming.
40 million worldwide live in floodplains - that’s 0.6% of the global population.
If you’re not sure what you can do in all of this, come to our screening of ‘The Age of Stupid’ today, Wednesday 28th October at the Free Church, Welwyn Garden City (opposite Sainsbury’s) at 7 pm - refreshments, 7.30 pm - film starts. Join in the discussion afterwards, make friends and start to feel empowered!
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Planning application submitted for 173-space car park and mobile café at park
- 2 Preparation works under way for Stonehills revamp
- 3 Man suffers fractured skull and bleed on the brain after pub assault
- 4 What to do if you see these hazardous caterpillars in a park
- 5 Delight for performing arts school as song hits number one in iTunes classical charts
- 6 Mum's proud of soldier son's guard of honour role at Prince Philip's funeral
- 7 Rail passengers warned of three-day closure at London King's Cross station
- 8 'These heroes deserve a proper pay rise' - Demonstration of support for NHS workers to be held outside New QEII
- 9 NHS hired conman on £320,000 five months after he was unmasked
- 10 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
Green Party parliamentary candidate for Welwyn Hatfield