Concerns over sea levels
SIR - I shall be meeting with parliamentary candidates later this week to ask them what action they would support, if their party is elected to government next year, to ensure that the UK reduces CO2 emissions by at least 40% by 2020.
I shall be meeting with parliamentary candidates later this week to ask them what action they would support, if their party is elected to government next year, to ensure that the UK reduces CO2 emissions by at least 40% by 2020.
New evidence has recently been brought to light, by a widely recognised sea level expert, (Stefan Rahmstorf of the Potsdam Institute in Germany) that a rise of 2 metres at least is almost unstoppable. This will see some island nations disappear, including The Maldives. Some readers might have seen the news clip on television last week showing the Maldives Government’s cabinet ministers meeting under water 9fully kitted out with under-water equipment, but also with tables and papers set out on the sea-bed floor)! This is to show people what might easily happen to this beautiful island and many others if we do not act to stop sea level rise and curb global warming.
40 million worldwide live in floodplains - that’s 0.6% of the global population.
If you’re not sure what you can do in all of this, come to our screening of ‘The Age of Stupid’ today, Wednesday 28th October at the Free Church, Welwyn Garden City (opposite Sainsbury’s) at 7 pm - refreshments, 7.30 pm - film starts. Join in the discussion afterwards, make friends and start to feel empowered!
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Hatfield curry house is hot stuff after being named nation’s best
- 2 Aldi eyeing new Hertfordshire store locations
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 Woman verbally abused and threatened at petrol station
- 5 Congratulations! See Sir Cliff Richard's The Great 80 Tour live in cinemas
- 6 Welwyn Garden City murder-suicide: Grief-stricken family release statement
- 7 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 8 A giant of a show is coming to Welwyn Garden City as Campus West panto returns with Jack & the Beanstalk
- 9 Six-year-old to raise money for Afghan refugees with readathon
- 10 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
Green Party parliamentary candidate for Welwyn Hatfield