Concerns over sea levels
SIR - I shall be meeting with parliamentary candidates later this week to ask them what action they would support, if their party is elected to government next year, to ensure that the UK reduces CO2 emissions by at least 40% by 2020.
I shall be meeting with parliamentary candidates later this week to ask them what action they would support, if their party is elected to government next year, to ensure that the UK reduces CO2 emissions by at least 40% by 2020.
New evidence has recently been brought to light, by a widely recognised sea level expert, (Stefan Rahmstorf of the Potsdam Institute in Germany) that a rise of 2 metres at least is almost unstoppable. This will see some island nations disappear, including The Maldives. Some readers might have seen the news clip on television last week showing the Maldives Government’s cabinet ministers meeting under water 9fully kitted out with under-water equipment, but also with tables and papers set out on the sea-bed floor)! This is to show people what might easily happen to this beautiful island and many others if we do not act to stop sea level rise and curb global warming.
40 million worldwide live in floodplains - that’s 0.6% of the global population.
If you’re not sure what you can do in all of this, come to our screening of ‘The Age of Stupid’ today, Wednesday 28th October at the Free Church, Welwyn Garden City (opposite Sainsbury’s) at 7 pm - refreshments, 7.30 pm - film starts. Join in the discussion afterwards, make friends and start to feel empowered!
- 1 Concerns raised over ‘grotesque’ 5G mast plans ruining iconic WGC view
- 2 Vandals trash toilet on WGC train
- 3 Homes selling fast at sought-after Welwyn Garden City development
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 Fight to save village Green Belt from development
- 6 Autism wellbeing event coming to Welwyn Garden City
- 7 Village off-licence at risk from plans for rival outlet
- 8 New safety signage installed at Stanborough Lakes
- 9 Nissan rolled in three-vehicle crash on M25
- 10 Welwyn Hatfield tops tenant complaint figures for east of England
Green Party parliamentary candidate for Welwyn Hatfield