Clampers caught us as well
SIR – Reference last week s letter about clamping in Salisbury Square car park, Old Hatfield. My friend and I had the same experience as your reader. We regularly use the same car park and have done so for many years. Back in October we had the misfortun
SIR - Reference last week's letter about clamping in Salisbury Square car park, Old Hatfield.
My friend and I had the same experience as your reader. We regularly use the same car park and have done so for many years.
Back in October we had the misfortune of finding our vehicle clamped. We parked in the car park at 6.50pm and returned at approximately 7.45pm.
We followed the instructions on the ticket that had been stuck on our car and was informed by a very rude man that we would need £193.00 to be released, if we couldn't raise the money the car would be towed away.
You may also want to watch:
He also advised us that it would cost £17.50 to appeal but that it was not worth it as they say they video the time of the clamping. We were then told we had 20 minutes to get the cash otherwise the car would be towed.
So off we went to the cashpoint.
- 1 Stay vigilant say police after man allegedly seen trying car door handles
- 2 University of Hertfordshire hit by cyber attack
- 3 'Iconic' new statue of Ebenezer Howard unveiled
- 4 Explosive new Fast & Furious 9 trailer and UK release date revealed
- 5 Homes damaged by people throwing bricks
- 6 'It's special to see your loved ones smiling away' - woman raises money to buy companion toys for care home residents
- 7 Mass participation 10K test event in Hatfield Park postponed and new venue being sought
- 8 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 9 Former healthcare worker nominated for role model award due to rare illness awareness campaign
- 10 ‘It’s been a great day!’ - Businesses and customers delight as shops, hairdressers and pubs reopen
On our return we found three elderly people who had just finished a church visit standing in the car park looking in horror at the clamp on their wheel.
To say they were distraught would be an under statement.
One gentlemen in particular was extremely upset as his disabled wife would be expecting him home at his usual time, so I gave him my mobile phone to contact his wife. He was also extremely distressed as he did not have that sort of money, luckily the other gentlemen said that he could loan him the money, so off they went to the cash point.
I telephoned the police to check that the company was legit and could demand cash. The police were very helpful, checked the registration number of the van and said that it was a verified company and that there was nothing they could do.
Since this time I have seen many cars clamped in this car park, the most recent one being clamped at 8.10pm.
It is an absolute disgrace that these people can charge that amount of money.
In future I will park on a double yellow line if I need to and receive a £30 fine!
K. Hewitt, via email.