Bill to shake up politics
SIR - With so much in the news recently it may have escaped your readers notice that The Sustainable Communities Bill recently became law. We will be hearing a lot about this in the future, but if I explain that this is the first major reversal in the i
SIR - With so much in the news recently it may have escaped your readers'
notice that The Sustainable Communities Bill recently became law.
We will be hearing a lot about this in the future, but if I explain that this is the first major reversal in the inexorable slide of power towards Whitehall that has ever been enshrined in law, your readers may realise how important a development this is!
The Act, which was motivated by a desire to support the individual and small businesses, instructs Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council, by October of this year, to set up citizen panels and act on their recommendations!
You may also want to watch:
The bill has been fought over for five years in the belief that a new 'bottom-up' approach will shake up politics in this country, put an end to cynicism, and allow us to build truly sustainable communities.
Adrian Toole, via email.
- 1 Tenant's despair over bill for council tax on mouldy flat
- 2 Audi and jewellery worth £70K stolen in Hatfield burglary
- 3 Sky Studios Elstree starts recruitment drive ahead of planned 2022 opening
- 4 Fireworks displays in Hertfordshire for Bonfire Night 2021
- 5 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 6 When do the clocks go back in 2021 and British Summer Time ends?
- 7 Filming taking place at The Galleria shopping centre in Hatfield
- 8 Rumoured Halifax closure would leave Hatfield with no banks
- 9 Ex-England star returns to former school for launch of environmental football campaign
- 10 Congratulations! See Sir Cliff Richard's The Great 80 Tour live in cinemas