Bill to shake up politics
SIR - With so much in the news recently it may have escaped your readers notice that The Sustainable Communities Bill recently became law. We will be hearing a lot about this in the future, but if I explain that this is the first major reversal in the i
SIR - With so much in the news recently it may have escaped your readers'
notice that The Sustainable Communities Bill recently became law.
We will be hearing a lot about this in the future, but if I explain that this is the first major reversal in the inexorable slide of power towards Whitehall that has ever been enshrined in law, your readers may realise how important a development this is!
The Act, which was motivated by a desire to support the individual and small businesses, instructs Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council, by October of this year, to set up citizen panels and act on their recommendations!
You may also want to watch:
The bill has been fought over for five years in the belief that a new 'bottom-up' approach will shake up politics in this country, put an end to cynicism, and allow us to build truly sustainable communities.
Adrian Toole, via email.
- 1 The changing nature of Potters Bar high street
- 2 Water safety advice issued following lake drowning
- 3 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 4 New report reveals 28 Covid deaths at Hatfield care home
- 5 Man drowns in Stanborough Lakes
- 6 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 7 Football fanatic honoured with FA award for services to grassroots game
- 8 'A day none of us will forget' - Princess Anne visits Lister Hospital
- 9 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 10 New Sexy Beasts dating show for Netflix filmed in Hertfordshire