Bill to shake up politics
SIR - With so much in the news recently it may have escaped your readers notice that The Sustainable Communities Bill recently became law. We will be hearing a lot about this in the future, but if I explain that this is the first major reversal in the i
SIR - With so much in the news recently it may have escaped your readers'
notice that The Sustainable Communities Bill recently became law.
We will be hearing a lot about this in the future, but if I explain that this is the first major reversal in the inexorable slide of power towards Whitehall that has ever been enshrined in law, your readers may realise how important a development this is!
The Act, which was motivated by a desire to support the individual and small businesses, instructs Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council, by October of this year, to set up citizen panels and act on their recommendations!
You may also want to watch:
The bill has been fought over for five years in the belief that a new 'bottom-up' approach will shake up politics in this country, put an end to cynicism, and allow us to build truly sustainable communities.
Adrian Toole, via email.
- 1 Stay vigilant say police after man allegedly seen trying car door handles
- 2 University of Hertfordshire hit by cyber attack
- 3 'Iconic' new statue of Ebenezer Howard unveiled
- 4 Explosive new Fast & Furious 9 trailer and UK release date revealed
- 5 Homes damaged by people throwing bricks
- 6 'It's special to see your loved ones smiling away' - woman raises money to buy companion toys for care home residents
- 7 Mass participation 10K test event in Hatfield Park postponed and new venue being sought
- 8 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 9 ‘It’s been a great day!’ - Businesses and customers delight as shops, hairdressers and pubs reopen
- 10 Former healthcare worker nominated for role model award due to rare illness awareness campaign